Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2012 14:00

I cannot find my 25-character product key

This may be idiotic, but I received a Dell Inspiron 1545 as a gift back on August 17, 2009. I have used it mainly to view CDs up until now, but now I want to use Microsoft Windows. Every time I log onto windows, it asks for a 25-character product key. I recently moved, and the original startup CD I received with the lap-top seems to be missing. I'm just trying to get a-hold of this 25-character product key so that I can use Windows. Suggestions? 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 14th, 2012 15:00

doug_park2001,

If your system was installed with a Dell OEM disk, no product key is needed.

If in the United States, Request Backup Disks USA if in another Country, contact Dell Tech Support in your Country.

You can backup all your filoes and folders that you cannot afford to lose, then Restoring Your Computer´s Software to the Factory Settings

Rick

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 14th, 2012 15:00

I have a feeling the user is trying to open Microsoft Office, which was probably a trial version.  Unless he/she purchased it with the system, there won't be a key -- he/she would have to buy a copy of Office.

June 14th, 2012 18:00

Hi,

My name is Savinder and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

Seems like you mean to say MS office

If that’s what you are trying to install first check if you have ordered it along with the system or not

If yes you’ve must have got a cd for MS office or an email for the same as you you’ve bought it in 2009

And if you have miss placed it and never installed it before then you need to buy a new product key because that’s a unique product key and cannot be recovered  until and unless you have activated it online with Microsoft

So try to find out the media which was sent along with the system.

(Sorry to inform you that being royalty software purchased with the system it can’t be shipped again.)

And if you didn’t buy it along with the system and never ordered it before then you can order it online or from a retailer whatever suits you better

Thanks,

Dell - Savinder S

No Events found!