Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2016 09:00

I have a weird problem with audio

Hi! I have a problem, with audio: After I upgraded to windows 10, now, if an application as skype, voice recorder, audio editors tries to use the microphone, all the sounds get muted and no microphone working as well. I tryed uninstalling the driver, and everything worked well. But it's not a solution, cause windows 10 forsses installing updates and also, no stereo mix. I even tryed downloading the latest driver from Dell support, used Support Asist for a test, tryed the latest driver from Realtec, updated the BIOS to the latest version, and the same problems. I hope I get some help here. By the way, I'm using a dell inspiron 5558 with windows 10 pro.

Best regards.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 25th, 2016 06:00

Hello. Try this. Go into the Windows Sound properties, click on the Recording tab (or right click the audio icon on the taskbar and click Recording devices). Right click on "Microphone". Click on Properties.

Click the Advanced tab and uncheck the "Exclusive Mode" box if it is checked.

I tryed uninstalling the driver, and everything worked well.

I understand that to mean that the issue does not exist when you use the Windows native audio driver but does exist when you use the Realtek audio driver? If so, it appears to be a bug with the Realtek driver. Try switching from the Realtek driver to the native driver this way, which does not involve uninstalling the Realtek driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, sometimes you have to restart, sometimes not.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

July 29th, 2016 14:00

Well thanks, but it is really kind of weird. Cause I'm not able to use the stereo mix or line in, and that's the issue.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 30th, 2016 05:00

If everything worked the way you like it to, when you were running the original operating system, but does not work  when running Win10, then perhaps the solution would be to revert to the operating system that best fits your needs.

An alternative idea is to perform a "clean" install of Win10. That is outside of my area but you can find instructions by googling. The clean install might remove some issues that were created by upgrading to Win10. After the clean install you may have to manually install the Realtek driver.

No Events found!