Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2013 10:00

I have to Power On, Off and then On again to get my DELL Inspiron 17R to boot to Windows

Hello everyone.

I have a DELL Inspiron 17R Notebook with Windows 8 (64-bit).

I got this laptop new only 3 months ago, so I don't why it's having this problem.

For the past 3 days now, I've had to power on my laptop twice to get it to boot properly.

I press the Power button, it turns on, the DELL logo appears, but then the screen goes black and nothing happens.

The laptop stays on and I can still hear the fan running, but nothing else ever happens. 

So then, I press the Power button again to turn it off.

Then, I press the Power button one more time, it turns on and the DELL logo comes on again, but this time,

the little white circle appears below it and starts spinning and then it boots into Windows in about 5 seconds.

After that, my laptop is fine. I can use it for hours and it never freezes, crashes, shuts down or anything like that.

However, if I need to Restart the computer, like after running Windows Update, the same thing happens...

It restarts, the DELL logo appears, the screen goes black and then nothing.

So, I press the Power button, turn it off, press the Power button one more time and it boots into Windows in 5 seconds.

Then, like before, no problems after that.

Can someone please help me before this little annoyance becomes a bigger problem and my laptop dies on me.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

5 Posts

February 24th, 2013 04:00

Hello all.

After extensive research, I managed to fix this problem myself.

Here's what I did...

-Power ON the computer.

- After the Dell logo, when the screen goes black, Power OFF.

-Then, Power ON again and Press F2 to get into the BIOS.

-When you are in the Bios, Go to the "BOOT" menu.

-Then go to "SECURE BOOT" and select "DISABLED"

-Then go to "ADD BOOT OPTION" and press "Enter"

- In the new window that opens up, go to "BOOT OPTION NAME", and type  "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive" without the quotes.

- Tab down to "YES" and Press Enter

Now, you should see "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive" in the list under "BOOT PRIORITY ORDER and UEFI BOOT.

Press the "+" key to move "CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive" to the top of the boot list.

-Press F10 to Save Changes and Exit.

My computer has been booting normally ever since.

I hope this info helps other people with the same problem.

272 Posts

February 15th, 2013 18:00

@AC-NSB

Already being discussed here along with other 17R BIOS issues. 
Dell is aware of this and supposedly fixing the BIOS for quite some time now. I did receive a Beta Bios a few weeks ago, but it failed to fix anything.

Cheers

No Events found!