Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

September 9th, 2011 05:00

I want to add a monitor to my Latitude e6410

How do I activate the video port for the external devices on Dell Latitude E6410?

I have an old ViewSonic VP191b, Model # VLCDS25973-2w that is on my old G5 Mac. I want to hook it up as a duel monitor on my Dell Lititude E6410, windows 7 OS. It doesn't recognize the monitor - it doesn't even detect it.  

I just need to know how to add the monitor. There is no signal. I bought an adapter that fits both the laptop and the monitor but the monitor doesn’t come on. I have used the instructions for windows 7 to add the monitor so I can have two monitors (the laptop and the View Sonic that I also use on my Mac). I’d appreciate any help I can get. It is kind of hard to work off of the laptop monitor when I need several windows open.

14 Posts

September 9th, 2011 08:00

Well if you have all of the connections correct and you are sure that the ports work, then it is probably some driver compatiblility issue. However I also read win 7 shouldn't need any drivers for monitors. The monitor just may be to old to use.

September 9th, 2011 09:00

Is there a way to check the port to see if it is working? If it is not, how do I activate it? How can I check the adapter to see if that is functioning?

I was afraid of that. I was trying to avoid buying a new monitor just to have duel monitors. I have been looking for a solution for about a month, and just can't find one. Thanks for your answer.

How can I tell if the port works? Is there a way I can find that out?

14 Posts

September 9th, 2011 14:00

The easiest way to do that is hook your computer up to a more recent model monitor and see if it powers up. Also do you have your properties set up correctly look here.

Some other things you can try:

Go to devices and printers the  "add device" i know you said there was no signal, but i wasn't sure if you meant the computer screen is not on or the computer does not recognize it.

You can also mess around in device manager and see if you can find the monitor in there.

Its hard to diagnose a computer problem over a forum so if you hook your latitude up to another recent monitor and it still wont display your desktop take it to a repair shop, It could be a simple software issue (cheap) or something with the hardware (more than likely expensive).

good luck

No Events found!