Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2014 03:00

Inspiron 11 - 3147 BIOS problems with Linux

Recently purchased an Inspiron 11 - 3147 laptop which has the lastest BIOS version A01 installed on it.

This laptop requires a BIOS update by Dell to fix problems with itss N2830 and N3530 processors to work with Linux.  The problem is described here;

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1341925

Accordingly to the following news article this laptop is surpose to ship with Ubuntu as an option in September.  

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/06/dell-announce-new-laptops-optional-ubuntu

As there are clearly BIOS issues when run under Linux would someone from Dell confirm a BIOS update is coming soon for this laptop?

Thanks.

1 Message

August 13th, 2014 14:00

I too purchased this Inspiron 11 3000 2-in-1 (3147)  with Intel N3530 hoping to be able to run Linux on it.

The biggest problem we have are Suspend/Resume/Shutdown/Reboot as described in launchpad.

Please advise.

Thanks.

2 Posts

August 18th, 2014 19:00

I know the whole "me to" thing is annoying but hopefully it will help bump the thread so.....

Me to!

What sort of time frame are looking at for this?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

August 28th, 2014 10:00

Currently I have very little information on any future BIOS updates for the Inspiron 11 – 3147 for Ubuntu or otherwise. I wasn’t able to find that the model is being offered on Dell.com with Ubuntu, and there are no options for Ubuntu on the drivers or manuals pages for this system.

My training documentation states that the system is compatible with Ubuntu but offers no other information. I have reached out to some of my contacts asking If and when the system will be offered with Ubuntu, and if there are any known Ubuntu issues and if any BIOS updates are being planned.

I wish that I had more to offer. I certainly suggest keeping an eye open on support.dell.com for any BIOS and OS updates, and I will post here once I receive any further information.

TB

1 Message

August 29th, 2014 14:00

Just to assist.  Dell in a press release announced that By Sept 2014 this laptop would be fully supported on Ubuntu Linux.  (example) http://pctablet.name/dell-brings-ubuntu-to-tablets-with-new-inspiron-hybrids/  And Dell has announced Certification for Ubuntu on this system.  Here is the Ubuntu/Dell page showing this as Ubuntu Certified http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/.  

1 Message

August 30th, 2014 06:00

Yes I have exactly the same problem too and am also waiting on a fix. I bought this hybrid because it was Ubuntu certified... sigh.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

September 3rd, 2014 08:00

I have researched this further and regarding the Inspiron 11 3147 and Ubuntu Linux. What I have found is that the current BIOS revision should work fine and no new bios revisions are planned. There are however a number of drivers not currently available to the public either from Dell's or Canonicals’ websites. If Ubuntu is manually installed without these drivers on the Inspiron 11 3147 the system will likely have the symptoms described in the Lauchpad article.

I currently don’t have a time frame when and if the Inspiron 11 3147 will be sold with Ubuntu Linux, or when the extra Ubuntu drivers will be made available to the public.

I am sorry that I don’t have more information on when the drivers may be available. I do suggest keeping an eye open on Dell.com for a possible Ubuntu edition of the Inspiron 1 3147 and on support.dell.com for possible Ubuntu drivers, although I have no current ETA when they might appear. I will post any updates here when I receive them.

TB

1 Message

October 2nd, 2014 22:00

Has there been any updates on this subject?  I'd be really interested in linux drivers for this laptop :)

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2014 10:00

I wish that I had news for your all but I have received no updates when or if the Inspiron 11 3147 will be available for sale with Ubuntu or when Ubuntu drivers will be made available.

I am keeping an eye on this and I will report here as soon as I learn of anything.  Until then keep an eye open on the drivers page here, and on Canonical's support website.

TB

2 Posts

October 8th, 2014 23:00

For people interested, as suggested in the ubuntu bug report, by creating a file in /etc/modprobde.d/ called blacklist.conf and adding the lines

blacklist dw_dmac

blacklist dw_dmac_core

It should allow you to at least suspend if not shutdown and restart

Hopefully we can get this fixed soonish so this isn't necessary in the future

November 12th, 2014 08:00

Don't mind me, I'm just joining the thread. Same issues and I'll just take a number and have a seat. :)

November 20th, 2014 13:00

I just downloaded and upgraded to A02  -  3147A02.exe, now what... :)

1 Message

December 17th, 2014 19:00

Guys, I want this cute little thing badly. I hardly make myself to pass by in my local computer store.  But I need to have linux on it for my work. What is a status? Does it work?

December 17th, 2014 22:00

it is awesome (queue Angel choir in background)i'm running Ubuntu 14.04 and it's very nice. I love it

December 18th, 2014 14:00

Then I got a 240GB SSD 600GB/sec for $80 on black friday and an 8 GB stick of memory.  I can run a windows test domain with a server and 3 workstation in VBOX and still have power to play on the Linux side. ;) 

2 Posts

April 8th, 2015 15:00

I haven't blacklisted dw_dmac_core yet, but I blacklisted dw_dmac and that has almost entirely resolved the reboot/shutdown hanging issues. Presumably we'd like to be using DMA rather than IRQs, but I am currently running this machine on Vivid (15.04) and the issue persists when DMA is turned on. Do we have any idea where this is coming from?

No Events found!