Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2012 05:00

Inspiron 14R N4110 8 Beep codes on start up

Hi  All,

I been reading threads about dell beep codes problem. Mine comes up after days of expired waranty. Very dissapointed with it because I now that my 1 year waranty expired I can not contact Dell support anymore.

It's been unclear if the what's the problem cause but one thing is for sure. I am very dissapointed in Dell, looks like their product has only 1 year life span.

Anyone who have the same problem? Any suggestions to fix this?

Thank you!

Louie

4.4K Posts

August 16th, 2012 08:00

Hi  Louie,

Try updating the BIOS using this link : www.dell.com/.../inspiron-14r-n4110

Note:While updating BIOS make sure,no external USB device is connected,battery should have a minimum of 50 % charge and AC adapter should be connected.

Let me know if this helps,

Thank You

4.4K Posts

August 20th, 2012 22:00

Hi  Louie,

Glad updating BIOS helped.

Not sure of the exact problem,as the Diagnostics could not pick up any error.

However this BIOS version Fixes & Enhancements shows the following :

1.To fix lid function failed in DOS. 2.Modify fan max speed value to fix WBDD tool fan.exe test failed if system in high temperature 3.Added LED test interface and changed three multimedia button test interface for factory.

4.4K Posts

August 1st, 2012 05:00

Hi  LouieHans,

Welcome to the Community,

Beep codes can be used as diagnostic indicator.On your system model 8 beeps means LCD failure.To fix the problem you need to get the LCD replaced.

When did your warranty expire? Click on my user name,click on start conversation and private message me your system Service Tag number.

I will check your system details and get back to you.

Thank You

4.4K Posts

August 1st, 2012 06:00

Hi Louie,

Usually if its 8 beeps,with no post situation than its LCD failure.But it seems you're able to get display.

If i understand right, when you start the system it emits 8 beeps without display,than you turn off system and remove battery,restart the system you get normal display.Is this right?

Do you mean that if you use the system only with AC adapter (without the battery) you get display?

Try LCD BIST test.Press  and hold down  "D" key,while holding it down turn on the system,confirm if you see color screens getting displayed.

8 Posts

Hi Roshan,

My waranty expire a last June 30. The 8 beep codes only show last July 23.

When I run the Dell start up diagnostic test. It' doesn't show any error. Also the fact that I am still able to use my laptop after I turn it off and remove the battery.

Thanks!

Louie

8 Posts

Hi Roshan,

I see the colors when doing the LCD BIST test.

I am using my system with battery and with the AC adapter. After successfuly startup.

Here's the process I am doing to have successful booting.

- Remove the AC plug.

- Remove the battery and return it after a few seconds.

- Press the power button wait till the windows start up shows up

- Plug the AC adaptor

If I plug the adapator before the press the power button. I will get an error of 8 beeps while the screen is still in the DELL splsplash screen.

Not sure what I'm doing but the logic is to get a hard reset. And it works. I turn on my laptop and the problem is solve. But I am getting annoyed by doing this everytime I am starting my laptop.

Thank you!

Louie

4.4K Posts

August 1st, 2012 08:00

Hi Louie,

So this confirms its not an issue with the LCD.Remove the battery and try to start the system only with AC adapter connected.Confirm if you hear that 8 beeps.Also try to observe from which side of the system is the beep sound coming.

If someone from your family/friend has a same watt Dell AC adapter,try using it on your system and see if the issue persists while using different adapter.

8 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 08:00

Hi Roshan,

Yes it might not be an LCD issue but I'm quite annoyed by the problem and things to be done in order to boot my laptop.

I just tried to boot with out the battery and with the AC power plugged in. And it works fine. I don't know anybody do have the same AC adapter as we have different brand of laptop and I'm the first one who tried Dell.

Any idea what's the problem and ways to fix this?

Thank you!

Louie

4.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 03:00

If the system is booting fine with only AC adapter connected,it could be an issue with the battery.

Does your battery charge normally?After the system boots normally connect the battery and check for battery health in Battery Meter.You can access Battery meter either from the  battery icon on the taskbar to the right hand bottom of the screen or through Control Panel,Power Options.

8 Posts

August 14th, 2012 03:00

Hi Roshan,

Latest update about my problem.  I normally get 8 beeps when starting my computer. Even with and with out battery. The 8 beeps comes after the dell splash screen. in DOS mode.

Please help.

thanks!

Louie

8 Posts

August 19th, 2012 16:00

Hi Roshan,

Updating the BIOS seems to be the answer. I have tried starting my laptop with battery only, with AC adapter only and with battery and AC adpater both connected. All test is successful and I'm not getting any beep code anymore.

For the sake of others that will encounter the same problem as I have,  any idea what cause the error and what does the updated BIOS fix the problem.

Thank you!

Louie

8 Posts

August 20th, 2012 22:00

Hi Roshan,

Hope this thread will help others as far as 8 beep codes is concern.

Two thumbs up! PROBLEM SOLVE!

Thank you!

Louie

2 Posts

November 14th, 2012 11:00

I have 3 Beeps- on my dell Inspiron n4110... Less than a year old!!! Very upset!!

4.4K Posts

November 15th, 2012 00:00

Hi cbabysns,

Welcome to the Community,

Sorry about the trouble with your system.The computer might emit a series of beeps during start-up if the LCD cannot display errors or problems.The repetitive beep codes can be used as diagnostic indicator.

Three beeps on your system model indicates a system board/mother board failure.If the system is less than year old it should be covered under warranty.

Please private message me your system service tag number.To private message click on my user name and click start conversation.

I will check your system details and get back to you with repair options.

Thank You

13 Posts

December 25th, 2012 21:00

Hi Roshan,

I am Kalyan from Hyderabad,  purchased Dell Inspiron N5110  last December, last one year i didn't got any problem with the laptop ,but once warranty got expired i got the problem like monitor display got damaged( which as rectified) ,

After that from past couple of days Iam getting like 3 beep sounds from my laptop while start of my laptop and when shutdown of my laptop, could you please tell me what the issue why am getting three BEEP sounds from my laptop..

Thanking you ,

Kalyan.G

No Events found!