Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2017 13:00

Inspiron 15 5559 charger not charging battery (manufacturers charger being used)

When I plug the charger in the message on the battery icon on the bottom toolbar reads as "73%, plugged in, not charging". Obviously the laptop is recognising the charger (i.e "plugged in") but it is not allowing the battery to charge.

I have installed every update on the computer and I have recently searched for any outstanding BIOS updates. The system seems to suggest there is a BIOS update to be installed yet when I try to install it the system says that it cannot detect a charger, and won't complete the update, or it won't complete the update without a charger plugged in in the first place. It's a no-win situation. The computer and charger are only 14 months old so this is very unsatisfactory. When I remove the battery the computer operates on AC power only, so again the charger is working, it simply won't charge the battery and therefore once the battery runs down to 0, which it will eventually, I will be limited to using AC power only.

If I restart the laptop with the charger plugged in it diverts me to a warning page saying that the charger is not recognised and I am given the option to go to the BIOS setup, go to diagnostics or to continue. If I choose "continue" it simply returns me to this warning page every time so the only way to power up the laptop is to do so with the AC charger out, and to then plug it in once the system has started so that the battery doesn't drain completely.

Please help.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 27th, 2017 15:00

An unrecognized AC adapter will not charge the battery.

First try a new OEM Dell adapter.  If that's also not recognized, replace the DC power jack:

www.parts-people.com/index.php

If neither the new adapter nor the DC jack solves the problem, you've got a bad charge circuit - replace the mainboard.

No Events found!