Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

X

1 Message

September 27th, 2008 16:00

Inspiron 1501 "ac adapter type cannot be determined" message

Recently my 1501's been throwing the boot warning that my "ac adapter's type cannot be determined", and then it fails to charge the battery.  I've had the unit for about a year and a half, and this just started happening.  I searched the web for possible solutions, and found this link:

http://getsatisfaction.com/dell/topics/_the_ac_power_adapter_type_cannot_be_determined_your_system_will_operate_slower_and_the_battery_will_not_charge

On this forum, one of Dell's representatives (user name: Dell-Bill_B) claims that he can ship replacements to customers who have active or recently expired warrenties.  Unfortunately I have the bad luck of falling into the latter catagory, but I am still interested in getting a replacement for this charger.  I can provide any necessary information as needed.  In short, I'm wanting to know what next step I need to take in order to get my new ac adapter.

thanks,

Andrew

September 28th, 2008 04:00

i needed to get a new AC adapter for my 1501 as well, even though my warranty expired 3 weeks prior. The best price that i found was at this site:

http://www.mobilepowersupply.com/product_26040.html 

1 Message

January 22nd, 2009 10:00

I have the same problem. I found that once you get windows booted up you unplug the power cord from the back of the computer for a few seconds and then plug it back in then the charge light will come on. Sometimes I have to repeat it a few times before it will come on but it will light up.

January 21st, 2010 17:00

Hello,

I have had the same trouble with my Inspiron 1501 running XP.  I tried flashing the the Bios and installing a new battery (I bought 2 originally).  Both didn't work. Finally I just tried taking off the battery while the computer was on and running on AC power (even though it says it doesn't recognize it) and reinstalling the battery.  Wham, it worked.  I don't know whether this is just a short term fix or what but it seems to have worked.  Peace, and remember not to vote for Democrats.

6 Posts

January 21st, 2010 17:00

Actually this is a common problem with Dell AC adaptors. I remember coming across a website which explained how to fix the problem but you need exceptional electrical engineering skill for that, so I didn't do anything about my adaptor. You should call Dell technical support and tell them about your problem and maybe they will send you a replacement free of charge or for a discounted price, depending on your warranty status.

No Events found!