Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2012 19:00

Inspiron 1501 - screen flashes during bootup then is black

Hi all.  Hope that you can assist.

Inspiron 1501 laptop.  Powers up and wifi indicator lights.  During power up screen flitters to show a split second of the typical startup screens but with a red tint.  Mostly the screen is black.  Have connected it to a LCD monitor and F8 toggled until monitor changed from 'no source' to 'not supported.'

[was my son's laptop at college but he has bought a replacement and left this at home instead; no, I cannot confirm the device has current drivers, etc.]

Stuck at this point.  Any ideas on how to either get video to display on the laptop, or to display on the monitor?

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 26th, 2012 21:00

Hi pfhauser,

To isolate the issue I recommend, run diagnostics on the computer (Press and hold “D” key and press the power button simultaneously).

Check if you can hear the Windows loading sound after a couple of minutes of turning on the computer.

Above diagnostics would determine if the LCD is malfunctioning. Let me know the result.

Awaiting your response!

5 Posts

September 27th, 2012 05:00

Hello Rajesh:

Yes, the windows sound are heard when the computer is powering up.

Occassionally the screen will flicker with the typical dos type screens during the boot up sequence, and the Dell symbol will be seen - but very briefly, only for a split second, and with a red tint - and then the windows sound.  Most of the time the screen is black.

Even when pressing and holding the "D" key when pressing the power button.

Paul

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 28th, 2012 01:00

Hi pfhauser,

It might be an issue with the LCD.

In case the system has active warranty, please private message the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name.

To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation.

Warranty status: support.dell.com/.../warranty_information

Awaiting the information from you!

5 Posts

September 28th, 2012 06:00

The unit is not in warranty.  Unless the replacement cost is very inexpenisve, I will not be replacing the screen.  Please advise of an approximate cost.

Please advise if there is a way to utilize the laptop without its attached LCD screen but instead with an external monitor (I have available both a CRT and a LCD monitor).

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

October 1st, 2012 07:00

Hi pfhauser,

Use the computer by connecting to either a CRT monitor or LCD.

I have provided a link below for the expired warranty services:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/expired_warranty?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=anavml

If you want to go for online purchase, click on the below link:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/dellitems.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Let me know if this helped.

5 Posts

October 16th, 2012 13:00

Please advise if it is possible to use the laptop with an external LCD monitor, not its flip up monitor, and without a docking station.

If so, please provide instructions.

5 Posts

November 5th, 2012 11:00

Please advise if it is possible to use the laptop with an external LCD monitor, not its flip up monitor, and without a docking station.

If so, please provide instructions.

1 Message

February 19th, 2013 21:00

yes, it is possible. I have been doing it for some months now.

It requires that you  connect the laptop to the external monitor.

Initially the external monitor will show a blank desktop, because all desktop icons and task bars are being displayed on the laptop screen, which is not functional.

Fortunately, shining a bright spot or flashlight on the laptop screen will let you see the information on the screen.

If the opening screen is password protected you will have to do that on the dark screen - use the bright light and expect to have to learn how to enter it, but it's really simple once you have the skill down.

You can then enter control panel, display, and set the display to use two monitors. Set the parameters for the second monitor to the correct screen resolution, if Windows has not detected them. 

This will permit you to drag icons and windows from the laptop screen to the external monitor. Following the cursor from the lit screen to the dark screen is a skill that it takes a bit of practice to acquire.

No Events found!