Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

8 Posts

July 20th, 2008 15:00

Inspiron 1525 fan much too noisy. Bad fan management.

The fan controller of my inspiron works absolutely not acceptable.

T >= 51°C - fan on, cooling down to T <= 36°C, fan off.

There is no tool allowing manual fan speed selection, so that one can work, without the fan turning on everey 15 minutes to cool down the CPU from 50 to 35°C.

This is a really big mess for all 1525 customers! I beg you BIOS-guys at DELL: Please release a BIOS that allows dynamice fan controlling management or give a tool for manual setting.

If anyone has a solution for this problem, please post here. All tools out there from 3rd parties are not working with Inspiron 1525, and also underclocking with RMClock doesn't help.

Anyone with similar problems, please report here. I know a lot of users in Germany having the same problems and of course, also are not satisfied. Maybe BIOS-coders over at DELL are given the order to solve this, if enough people report here.

Message Edited by dracoonpit on 07-20-2008 11:33 AM

797 Posts

July 20th, 2008 15:00

Hi, have you tried this tool: http://www.diefer.de/indexe.html

However use it at your own risk - Incorrect fan settings can lead to overheating!

July 21st, 2008 05:00

Of course - the first thing I did. It does not work with those Inspiron 1525. Speedfan doesnt, MainboardMonitror of course also not. Only with ClockGen I was able to completely shut off the fan. But thats a one way ticket, you need to reinstall Windows to get fan working again.

I tried everything. Now its up to Dell.

Message Edited by dracoonpit on 07-21-2008 01:43 AM

11 Posts

July 21st, 2008 10:00

Well, there are multiple threads in this forum complaining about the behaviour you described. And the problem remains for some time now...

Well, just for the record: I strongly support this request for a controllable fan speed. It really spoils the greatness of the 1525 :(

On a side note: Anyone got experience with this: http://www.pbus-167.com/ ?

This seems like a very advanced tool for ACPI control and they released a "Dell bugfix" version, so maybe there's hope?

Can't test it myself right now, but will asap. And of course report any success~

July 21st, 2008 10:00

I also tried this one already - nope ..

7 Posts

July 24th, 2008 04:00

Acctualy I have the same problem with vostro 1310 - I8kfunGUI doesnt work properly, so I still havnt got any solution of this "noisy" problem - there is only one hope that there will be some changes in next BIOS versions.

Does anybody has e-mail or some contact with tech. support? I woud be interesing to speak with them about this topic. In any case I think we shold provide some feedback concerning this issue - otherwise we will not have any problem solution 

Message Edited by Shaq888 on 07-24-2008 12:43 AM

July 24th, 2008 06:00

I spoke a long time with a friendly tech support lady over at Dell. But the only thing, the support people can do, is to inform their manager I guess, with the complaints you made or feedback you gave. That is, what she promised me to do, and I guess she did - but will anybody care?

Dell is a huge international company, whith call centers in Germany, facilities in Poland, head quaters in the States (?) and service & support in Taiwan. (Thats only guessing, just for illustration). The left hand does not know, what the right hand should do, and if she does, they do not care. Or, there is no solution, because the mainboard of our notebooks here do not allow it - no matter what BIOS.

But: It is our right as a customer to be informed, what's this all about! We all paid good money, and I just would like to know, if there is a solution, if work is in progress, if it is planned to be resolved or if not - then that not. There must be hundreds, maybe thousands of people out there, beeing disappointed with these Inspirons.

I would rip my Dell open and solder in a resistance for manual management.

But please, make you customers king again and tell them, whats going on ;)

Message Edited by dracoonpit on 07-24-2008 03:00 AM

1 Message

July 24th, 2008 07:00

I just want to add my two-penneth to this. I can't believe that Dell can release a product with such an obvious defect. You only have to use the thing for about 10 minutes before it becomes extremely irritating. I've also tried all the little software tools for fan control and none of them work, so it looks like a BIOS job.

So please, please, please Dell... sort it out!

7 Posts

July 24th, 2008 07:00

I have also though about soldering or resistor - but I KNOW that it is possible and easy to do it via small changes in BIOS, and it is very annoying me!
Message Edited by Shaq888 on 07-24-2008 03:14 AM
Message Edited by Shaq888 on 07-24-2008 03:15 AM

7 Posts

July 24th, 2008 08:00

of course its not fresh idea but I think everybody how has a such problem should try to deliver a massage about it to their support, otherwise if there are few complains they will not take it in consideration.
Message Edited by Shaq888 on 07-24-2008 04:17 AM

1 Message

July 31st, 2008 01:00

I completely agree with the other posters.  I had the computer for about 30 minutes before I searched the web to see if this abrupt fan noise should be expected.  PLEASE Dell add a bios setting to allow this to be slowed down.  I may even prefer having it run constantly at a lower speed.  If you won't make this change, please at least consider having the fan start up a little less abruptly and more smoothly.

PLEASE do something to allow more fan control so it is not so noisy.

2 Posts

August 8th, 2008 15:00

Hi folks,

i got my new Inspiron 1525 since today. The fan issue is very annoying.

I don't know if can live with it, maybe i send it back to Dell.

So please Dell, if you want one more satisfied customer, change the fan control!

1 Message

August 11th, 2008 05:00

Hey

I also have a 1525 since a few days and I´m really mad that I didn´t found this forum before I ordered a 1525. The fan is too loud. And it starts every few minutes. 

I found out that I´m not the only one with this problem. Why is dell not doing anything to solve the problem?

Without the fannoise, my 1525 is perfekt. 

If anyone knows what to do, let me (us) know.

2 Posts

August 12th, 2008 07:00

Dear all,

I bought a DELL Inspiron 1525 CPU-T5550 a 2 weeks ago, my conclusions so far are:

- the fan is really noisy, under full load CPU stays over 50 degrees Celsius and the fun even starts to run faster.

- it turns for a 1 min. each 2 min. and as long the laptop is running and gets hotter inside, the fan runs for longer with smaller pauses.

- if DELL implement lower speed for the fan this will only increase the pauses slightly, so look after another solution, as buying cooler pad, choose another brand or buy a laptop with smaller and cooler CPU.

This is only my personal opinion, but the machine is built poorly with an awful inside ventilation.

I just found out during running the diagnostic tool from the resource CD, that the lowest possible fan speed is 2880 RPM and the highest 4080 RPM. 

Message Edited by ivokpop on 08-13-2008 07:05 AM

August 27th, 2008 03:00

I too would like to add my.... WHHHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR .... to the caucaphony of compla.... WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRR ...ints over the the gd annoying fans wHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR on my new 1525.

This is the last Dell I buy... especially over the internet.  I plan on dropping it down the stairs in a few months and having them replace under warenteee WHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR with something less suicide inducin WHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ing.   Doesn't Dell still have non deaf product testers?  A fan that would run constantly would be more bearable than WHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR  one that is off for 30s, then goes full power for 15, then back off for 30.   It's like water torture.

The touchpad blows too. 

11 Posts

September 1st, 2008 10:00

Anybody tried the new(-ish) BIOS, A13? Does that contain any fixes? The changelog doesn't say anything about that, but i doubt they'd write "Fixed our very dumb fan management"
No Events found!