Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

O

3 Posts

February 21st, 2005 21:00

Inspiron 2500 Win98SE Loads on Battery - No Load on AC Power

Dual boot Inspiron 2500 Win98SE & Win 2000 Pro.
Here's one for the books - need help!

Inspiron PIII 800mghz on its third MoBO will load and run Win98SE on battery power only. It will also run and load applications when on battery power.

On AC power, Win98SE will not complete loading. The fan kicks on, then both fans kick on, then the machine shuts down.

The machine also shuts down when, after using battery power to load Win 98SE, other applications are loaded or when the CPU goes under load. One fan kicks on, then both fans kick on, then the machine shuts down.

Win2000Pro does not have any of these problems - either on battery or on AC power.

Any suggestions - aside from buying an Apple G4 Powerbook? I have to get another year or two from this machine. And, I do not want to spend any more money on it.

2.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2005 17:00

omosaze,

The fact that Windows 2000 boots and operates correctly would seem to say that there is no hardware problem with the system.  That would leave a problem with Windows 98.  I would suggest that you try booting Windows 98 into Safe Mode, and see if it will complete booting either on battery or AC power.

You may even need to consider reinstalling Windows 98, though with a dual boot I can understand that you want to try everything else first.

3 Posts

February 24th, 2005 00:00

thks for replying so quickly.

I solved the problem by picking up a used Latitude C610, swapping the Hitachi 5K80 80 gb drive from the 2500, reloading the C610 drivers, fixing one hardware comflict (VGA adapter vs Radeon - the Radeon won) et voila! My dual boot Win98SE/Win2000Pro lives on with barely a hiccup...

The Latitude keyboard is a dream compared to the Inspiron. And, when one opens the Latitude's lid, the whole case does not creek and flex like the Inspiron.

The Inspiron ate 3, count 'em 3 motherboards from Aug. 2001 to Feb 2005.
No Events found!