Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

November 14th, 2003 00:00

Inspiron 2650 all keys locked can't type anything"HELP"

Tonight all keys locked on my laptop. Tried rebooting but after sign on screened appeared I could not type in my password. If you could help that would be great.

Thanks,

Mike G.

3.1K Posts

November 14th, 2003 11:00

Mike,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The following are suggestions you should take to correct the problem:

1. If the system is connected to an port replicator or docking station, undock the system. Does the keyboard work when it is undocked?
  2. Press the reset button and reboot. This would be a hole that looks like the hole on the floppy drive. Use a straightened paperclip to press the button.
  3. You should also check for any debris in the contact.
  4. If the keycap has come off of the keyboard or is stuck down, try reseating it. There are typically two rocker arms and a rubber spring which need to be fitted back onto the keyboard. Instructions are on the Keyboard FAQ, #5.
  5. Boot to DOS using a DOS diskette. Test the keys in a program such as EDIT.
  6. Reset or update the system BIOS.
  7. Remove the keyboard entry from the Device Manager and reset the computer. When it restarts, it will reinstall the keyboard driver.
  8. Run the Dell diagnostic test on the keyboard.
  9. Place the System Software CD in your computer. Reset the machine and when the Dell logo appears on the screen, press and release [F2] several times until you are in the BIOS. Press the right arrow key to go to the BOOT menu or hold [Alt] and [P] simultaneously to progress to the second page. Change the boot sequence to CD/DVD drive, Floppy drive, Internal HDD. Now press [Esc] or [F10] to save and exit the BIOS.

The following knowledge base article can help you with this:

How to run the Dell diagnostic test knowledge base article.

The program should automatically load. Choose to run the test on the keyboard.

If none of these help, you may consider contacting Dell Support for a solution.

617 Posts

November 14th, 2003 12:00

If you keep on pressing F2 to enter the BIOS and nothing happens, then most likely it's a keyboard problem and should need to be replaced

November 14th, 2003 14:00

Thanks Ya'll for your info. Hows this, right after I joined the forum I called Dell Tech. support and the Gal walked me through a few steps to correct this little problem. First Shut off Lap-Top. Second Pull out Batt. pack. Third Unplugg Lap-Top. Forth Hold down on power button for 20 secs. Fifth Plugg-in Lap-Top and Reboot. Six if keyboard works re-install Bat-Pack. She said that this proceedure drains out the extra power that gets built up and that I should perform this monthly. Let me know what ya"ll think.

Thanks,

Mike G.

617 Posts

November 15th, 2003 14:00

That's actually the 1st thing that is done when troubleshooting hardware issues. The purpose of that particular troubleshooting step is reseting the system and has proven to be very effective
No Events found!