Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

May 8th, 2004 10:00

Inspiron 5150 gaming performance

I am finding unstable performance when running games such as GTA3, Far Cry, Unreal Tournemnt 4 etc. The games will run with a constant speeding up and slowing down effect or stuttering (no matter the resolution), but turning Hyper Threading/Speed Step off increases the running speed so as it is far to quick for the human eye!

1GB Ram
3.06 Pentium 4 with HT
64Mb Nvidea Fx5200
60GB hard drive

Should this spec have trouble with these and other games?

2 Posts

May 8th, 2004 13:00

How do you turn your HT off?

47 Posts

May 8th, 2004 19:00

make sure the back of your comp is free of dust. overheating can cause the speed up/slow down in gaming.

82 Posts

May 8th, 2004 21:00

I can tell you exactly what it is. For some reason certain games don't like intels speedstep technology.

Set your power settings to always on or download speedswitchXP and set your computer to max performance.

The CPU is running at the lower speed setting while the game starts up then after it loads it switches to max speed because more juice is being called on. The game then starts running at a faster pace but intermittently slows down to let the rest of the game catch up. It is noticed more when you play online as it seems like you're moving faster then you just stop dead for half a second before you can keep going.

As long as your CPU is running at maximum speed when the game loads you will be fine.

3 Posts

May 9th, 2004 06:00

Enter the BIOS at boot up and on about the 5th page in the BIOS settings there is an option to enable/disable Hyper Threading/Speed Step.

3 Posts

May 9th, 2004 09:00

I came to the same conclusion that speed step was doing something and made sure the power settings were set to always on, didn't seem to make any difference.

Where can I down load speedswitch XP as i have noticed that there is no program for changing anything to do with the speed step except in the BIOS, if my laptop came with instalation cd's for any speed step software i don't no cos i haven't got them to hand.

May 10th, 2004 14:00

Clean the dust filter and blow off your vid cards cooling foil.  Trust me, the overheating causes the video CPU to step down, same with your latptop's and that causes lag.  I had this problem forever, but that's what fixed it.

82 Posts

May 15th, 2004 15:00

Here is a link to speedswitchXP

http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/

also I8Kfangui is a good program to monitor the temperature of your cpu

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/

71 degrees is the maximum the cpu can handle and will automatically step down if it reaches this temperature to cool but if your cpu does reach this temperature at any time it is most likely a build up of dust

Message Edited by Rusty-Balse on 05-15-2004 12:52 PM

No Events found!