Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

May 17th, 2008 15:00

Inspiron 6000 adapter problem

Dear Dell Forum,

Ok I have an Inspiron 6000 laptop and of late the power adapter seems to be intermittently working. Sometimes I will plug it into the wall outlet and the green light will turn on and stay on, sometimes it will come on and then fade off and finally sometimes it will just not come on at all. During any of these circumstances if it is plugged into the laptop and the laptop is on it will switch automatically to the battery. So what do we think is wrong? Do I need a new power adapter? The laptop seems to work fine when it is battery mode but of course I don't always like to use the battery. I am not very computer savy so please be kind to me. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Always,

Debbie

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 17th, 2008 16:00

Unplug the adapter from the system.  If the green LED doesn't come on and stay on, replace the adapter.  If it does come on and stay on, the problem is with the notebook - it may be just the power jack ($150 or so to repair) or it may be the board is dying ($400+ labor).

5 Posts

May 17th, 2008 17:00

Dear ejn63,

Thank you for your response. I have for some reason been lucky enough to have the adapter working for the past hour or so. But... I did just now as you have suggested to me and disconnect the jack from the laptop. The green light on the power adapter, which was still plugged into the wall is still staying green. So what does that mean. Sorry to be so ignorant about all of this. If it is the board... why would it be dying?

Always,
Debbie

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 17th, 2008 17:00

It sounds like the power jack on the board - however, if you let it go with the intermittent connection, it'll eventually arc and destroy the charging circuit on the board.  You'll need a shop that can solder in a new jack - one is www.aqstech.com.  That should cost about $150 part and labor included.

5 Posts

May 17th, 2008 18:00

Dear ejn63,

I do want to thank you again for all of this help. It is interesting as I just had to unplug the adapter from the laptop (still left into the electrical wall socket) to go outside with the laptop and when I got back into the house to plug the laptop back into the adapter connection the light would not go on even though when I unplugged it from the back of my unit it had stayed on. Do you still think the same thing that it is a loose connection in the laptop? It is all so confusing to me but... you have been ever so helpful.

Always,

Debbie

5 Posts

Dear ejn63,

Thank you. I think that might be the first way for me to attack this issue with the least amount of expense. I appreciate all of your help and will follow your suggestions. Thanks for being on this board.

Always,

Debbie

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

It may be worth buying a replacement adapter - at about $30-35, it's worth a shot before committing to an expensive repair.

5 Posts

May 17th, 2008 22:00

Dear ejn63,

Its me again and I think that I have messed up things. I did get the adapter to work and in doing so I thought that I would take the opportunity to do some clean up. I wanted to delete Games that I guess were somehow connected to the internet maybe. Either way right now I have no internet icons or service or anything. I did try to do a system restore but that didn't work either as it would not allow me to restore. Don't understand that at all either. So computer illiterate that I am I am quite frustrated to say the least.

Any advice now?
Always,

Debbie

No Events found!