Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

B

February 1st, 2007 12:00

Inspiron 700m Speakers Not Working

My Inspiron 700m speakers only work when I have the monitor placed at about a 45 degree angle. So, I can't listen to a movie or music without a headset if I'm using the notebook. The earphone jack works fine. I researched problems with Inspiron speakers, and I originally thought that it was a software problem. However, it seems that there are many people who are experiencing the same problem with their Inspiron. My hardware warranty is up...but is there maybe a problem in how Dell designed this notebook? The speakers literally one day just stopped working. It's not likely they fizzled out over time. What is the best option, besides simply giving up and buying a set of external speakers? Thanks.

November 12th, 2008 10:00

Hey I am having the same issue. Did you find a fix to your problem???? Please help. Thanks :-)

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 12th, 2008 11:00

There is a problem with the speaker wires breaking in the 700m/710m. The sound through the speakers stops working but often you can hear some audio through the speakers when the screen is partially closed. The sound should still work okay through the headphone jack. There are a bunch of threads about this. Most people with this problem consider it to be caused by the flawed design of the computer, but Dell does not acknowledge that this is their fault and will usually not correct this unless you are still under warranty.

One of the victims of the flawed design was Luke Miller who has a web site with great photos showing how to disassemble the computer enough to get to the broken wires.
luke miller's 700m pics:
http://www.lukemiller.org/journal/2006/06/broken-speaker-wires-on-dell-700m.html

After the speakers and wires are exposed you can either repair the wires or replace the speakers with new ones that have unbroken wires. The problem is that Dell does not sell the speakers w/wires as a separate part (you have to buy the whole lcd display for over $500 to get the speakers) so finding the speakers to buy is difficult. Sometimes they are available on ebay when someone is selling off parts of a junked 700m. For those folks who are no longer under warranty and cannot locate replacement speakers, the solution is to repair the existing wires.

Jim

November 12th, 2008 12:00

Thanks a bunch Jim I really appreciate your help. As i am out of warranty i will to fix them by myself. Probably Miller's website will be of help. Thank you so much:-) 

No Events found!