Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

8 Posts

June 28th, 2006 20:00

Inspiron 8000 - Garbled Display!?

This is a 5 year-old laptop, upgraded to Windows XP Pro from Windows Me last year. Recently the afore-mentioned video problem started to become an issue.  First there was a redraw problem as well. I made several attempts to solve the problem. First, I scanned my laptop with Dell PC checkup tool with no permanent relief, and then I downloaded the driver (R54236) from Dell website again and installed it over. I also visited ATI website a few times for a driver upgrade. None of these efforts has yielded a satisfactory solution to the problem.  Now, there is no redrawing or flickering but only a garbled display. Could anybody suggest a way to fix this problem?
Thanking you in advance.. 

Message Edited by Sam Henry on 06-29-200602:03 PM

Message Edited by Sam Henry on 06-29-200610:48 PM

4.2K Posts

June 29th, 2006 23:00

Hi,

Is the Bios garbled ? Have you tried an external screen ? What about the Diags.

Regards Chris   

8 Posts

June 30th, 2006 17:00

Hi Chris,

I have the answers for your questions now:

No, BIOS is ok. Yes, I have tried an external screen. Everything looks pretty good there. The Diagnostics does not report any problems either.

Thanks for. your interest

4.2K Posts

June 30th, 2006 21:00

Hi,

It could be a video card. Despite the VGA being OK, there is extra circuitry on the card for the LCD. The fact that the Bios is OK is a sign that the LCD and cable are OK. I have seen these cards work OK with lo-res, such as the Bios, but when they go to hi-res such as when the drivers have loaded they go bad. There were a few different video cards in these, you may be able to get a cheap [ low memory ] one to try. Think of it as a Diag tool.

Regards Chris

8 Posts

July 1st, 2006 04:00

Hi again,

Thanks very much for the help. Shall I be contacting Dell for that video card?

Message Edited by Sam Henry on 07-01-200601:59 AM

4.2K Posts

July 1st, 2006 06:00

Hi,

Have a look at Ebay and Parts-People, Here is a link http://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=1227&prevaction=category&previd=141&prevstart=15 It still could be the LCD, but the card is cheap and not hard to fit. A quote would cost more. There is a service manual at the drop-down from the notebook tab above in the blue line.

Regards Chris

8 Posts

July 15th, 2006 21:00

Hi Chris,

As per your advice I replaced the video card with a new (to me) from the Parts-People on one month warranty.  It looks that the video card was the problem. Pictures have improved substantially. Everything is just fine. Thanks a million. Have a great day!

Sam

Message Edited by Sam Henry on 07-16-200605:03 AM

No Events found!