Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

H

5 Posts

September 5th, 2005 13:00

Inspiron 8100 video card problems

A while back my Inspiron 8100 developed problems with the video.  The image becomes pixelated/blinks/etc...  I have seen other posts for what seem like similar problems, dating from 2001-2002.  I have attempted the recommended corections:

-reseat LCD and video card ends of cable.
-reseat video card

The problem is still occurring.  "wiggling" the video card seems to affect the severity, but tapping the video cable and the lower right edge of the LCD seem to have a similar but diminished effect.

Is replacing the video card likely to solve this problem?

System desc.

PIII 1.2 GHz
512 K RAM
ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 64MB M7 (P/N 9J066)
15" UXGA (IBM) (P/N 0E791)

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 5th, 2005 14:00

Attach an external monitor. If the same symptoms appear, it is likely you need a video card. If not, the fault is with the display panel, not the video card.

5 Posts

September 5th, 2005 14:00

Should have mentioned I'd already tried the external monitor.  Same problems as the LCD.  Thanks for the info.

4.2K Posts

September 5th, 2005 21:00

Hi,

It may be a seating issue with the video card. Pull it out  ( and replace it ) and try before you put any screws back in. ( or the keyboard )

Regards Chris

2 Posts

September 8th, 2005 23:00

I'm having the same issue, and I have taken the laptop to absolute bits to see if a full re-build helps - it did, for about 3 weeks, now the problem is back. It comes and goes, but completely randomly. It was fine, got shut down at night, booted up in the morning, and the blockyness and patterning came back - with the laptop not being moved at all. I have since moved it, hit it, taken it apart again and just reseated the graphics card, and the problem just comes and goes completely randomly.

Highly annoying! Is it a graphics card fault, or further back on the motherboard?! Even odder.. I do a print screen, and it records the error on screen! very very annoying!

Any suggestions?

5 Posts

September 9th, 2005 21:00

I've got a replacement graphics card on order (another ATI Radeon 7500 - 64MB), so I'll let you know if that helps anything.  My computer seems to perform ok until it's had a few minutes to warm up.  If it has been off for some time, it will usually be fine for 10 minutes or so.  Then the block pattern will pop up, etc...

It'll be a week or so before I get the new part, but if anyone has any suggestions in the interim, I'm all ears.

2 Posts

September 13th, 2005 10:00

an update on my probs -

I've taken the laptop to bits again, tried cleaning it all and reseating. Now, the problem is almost permenant. What did concern me was the heat on a couple of bits on the VGA card, and the output changed slightly when applying a little pressure.

Does it look like I need to replace VGA? And if so, any suggestions on where to go? Or just stick to god's marketplace... ebay!?

cheers all!

5 Posts

September 13th, 2005 11:00

Do you have the Dell Diagnostics CD?  If so, reboot your computer and set CD or DVD drive as the primary boot drive.  Insert the diagnostics CD and allow the computer to boot.  If the screen works well enough for you to read the prompts, perform diognostics on the video system.  My video card failed all tests.  I just got my replacement video card.  Will install this evening and post results.

If you can't read the screen well enough to execute the diagnostics, I might be able to put together a keystroke by keystroke checklist, and the test results can be output to disk.

5 Posts

September 13th, 2005 16:00

The new video card fixed my problems.  I got it from Ebay from a company called Pemco.  The seller ID is pmarkham1.  They sell a variety of recycled and surplus computer components.  The 64MB Radeon 7500 cost me $43 plus shipping and handling ($13).  I think the shipping is too expensive, but the service was quick and the part works great.  If you can't find your part for a significantly better price elsewhere, I'd recommend them.

Now to see if I can get my money back from the independent shop who told me my notebook was beyond repair...mbc computers in Herrsching am Ammersee - avoid them if you can.
No Events found!