Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

6 Posts

June 6th, 2008 02:00

Inspiron 8500 Died, Question

I have an Inspiron 8500 which has just died.  I am trying to figure out how to get it fixed - seems to be a heat related issue.  It won't even boot up, and it loops in the video diagnostic.  After it heats up, it won't even boot.  And if it cools off, I have about 30 seconds of booting before it hangs.  During this, the video shows the WinXP booting screen, but it has resolution problems and ghosting.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

I am considering purchase of a used 8500 on Ebay, or another model which brings me to my next question....

Does anyone know which units are compatible with the 8500 Dock/Stand, as I would like to continue to use the docking stand.

Thanks.

Rob 

617 Posts

June 6th, 2008 04:00

Try cleaning out the system with compressed air (specifically the heatsinks and fans) and see if that helps.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8500/en/8500/sm/index.htm

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 6th, 2008 10:00

It sounds like your video card is toast.

The 8500 uses the D-dock, which will work with the 8600, and the Latitude D-series, which has had a long market life in multiple iterations (but which is about to end, as the E-series is about to be released).

6 Posts

June 6th, 2008 13:00

I have already done the compressed air cleaning and there was a dust bunny in the fan assembly (which I took out to clean).

It has not seemed to make any difference, even though I know the dust was an issue.

Thanks.

Rob 

No Events found!