Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 1st, 2011 07:00

Inspiron 8600 Hard Disk Replacement and keyboard spacer

I've just been given an Inspiron 8600 (top specifications) for my wife who has a fixation on laptops although I have totally rebuilt Dimension 4700, 3100 and 5130 desktops to try to get her to start using a computer.  The donor made sure his Fujitsu 100G hard drive was secure by removing it from the machine and smashing it with a hammer prior to finding out I could erase the disc with Maxtor's Powermax 4.23.  I have 2 other IDE HDD drives recovered from other machines - both Hitachi Travelstars of 60G - one spinning at 7,200 RPM and the other at 4,200 that I could fit into the HDD bay but the adapter to cradle the rear pins and the facia / body carriage are both broken too.  The Home key is loose as the black plastic spacer holding the key in place over the silicon rebound bubble has a broken mini lug and the screws to secure the HDD and the DVD R/RW drive are both missing.

I am in Australia and this is my first post ever on any forums ( I've always visited and read others' posts to find what I need).  That's not working htis time and I am hoping that someone in this Community familiar with the 8600 (maybe a kindly Parts Person at Dell) could reply with the Parts Numbers and availability in Oz or anywhere else I could buy the bits from for:

all the carrier / adapter parts I need to enable fitting the Travelstar 7,200 rpm unit into the HDD bay

the screw to hold the HDD carrier in place (or its length and thread diameter so I can match it from an ASUS / Acer / IBM wreck)

the screw to hold the DVD drive in place (ditto as above)

the plastic "frame" that slots into the ultra thin steel mounting frame on the base of the keyboard that holds the Home key in place.

If all are obsolete, then any advice on getting such parts second hand for this machine in Sydney would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance to anyone taking the trouble to reply.    Nightowl_7.:emotion-1:

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 1st, 2011 07:00

For hard drive caddies and other assorted laptop parts, I always buy them on eBay.

For laptop screws, you'll need to find out what size you need first, and then try to buy them at your local hardware store or try the hobby store. There is also a website that sells them. http://www.laptopscrews.com

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 2nd, 2011 07:00

Glad you got the parts you need. I have had very good luck with eBay for my Dell parts.

No Events found!