Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2013 10:00

Inspiron Laptop getting pink and purple lines on screen

Hi,  I am new to forums.  I have had MANY Dell computers including several desktops and I am now on my third laptop.  My previous laptop had the processor die after only a couple of years.  I replaced that laptop with a 14 inch Inspiron which I love.  Lately, something strange is happening to it.  For the most part, it works fine and my display is fine.  Every couple of days, for no apparent reason, my entire screen will end up pink and purple lines that go vertically sometimes and horizontally sometimes.  There is no option other than to reboot.  When I reboot, all is fine again and I can use the laptop like normal.  I never know when this thing with the lines is going to happy nor do I have any idea why it is happening.  I did this diagnostic check thing on the Dell site and everything passed.  I went to the drivers area and downloaded some of the 41 recommended downloads.  The problem is that now I just don't trust the laptop.  I fear taking it on trips for fear it will crap out when I am away from home.  The laptop was purchased in April of 2012 so it isn't even a year old.  I didn't save the box or packaging material and so I don't even know how I could mail it back. 

My daughter has a 17 inch Dell laptop and she has had this same situation happen with her system although she has only had it happen 3 times in total whereas I seem to have it happen far more frequently.

I hope that someone out there has an idea of what can be wrong or what we are doing wrong that is causing this problem.

Thank you in advance,

Muffinski

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

January 8th, 2013 09:00

Hi Muffinski,

Welcome to the Dell Community Forum.

Since the issue is intermittent, I request you to connect an external monitor and check the display on the external monitor. I also request you check in the BIOS screen. To go to BIOS screen restart the system and at the Dell logo keep tapping the F2 key every two seconds. Please leave the system in the BIOS screen for a while and check the status.

Please revert with the status to assist you further.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

January 10th, 2013 10:00

Hi Muffinski,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to this post. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

No Events found!