Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2013 09:00

Inspiron N5040 - won't start

This laptop (with Windows 7) was bought just over a year ago for my partner. She was not enthusiastic and didn't even switch it on until September when it worked perfectly for one session. I tried to get her interested in it again in December (one day out of its warranty) when I found that it would not power up, with or without the mains adaptor. The blue light comes on, clicks and goes off again. On one occasion (after pressing ignition a dozen times) I got some life (without mains adaptor) and was prompted to try Start-up Repair. This seemed to be successful until I re-started the computer and then everything died again. I would very much appreciate any help that you techno-wizards can offer. Thanks

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

January 10th, 2013 07:00

Hi astrolabe59,

I request you connect only the Ac adapter to a known good outlet (without plugging into the notebook) and check the LED status on the Ac adapter. In case there is steady light on the Ac adapter connect it to the computer and check the LED status on the Ac adapter and also on the computer.

If the Ac adapter LED is on, I suggest that you shut the system down, remove the battery, external peripherals and disconnect the ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds.  Now connect only the ac adapter and wait for 30 seconds and turn on the system. This will drain any residual charge in the capacitors.

Please reply to this post for further queries.

January 12th, 2013 14:00

Hello

Thanks for that but I'm afraid it didn't work; even with several attempts.  There is a steady green LED on the mains adapter but whatever I do, with or without battery, the computer will only come alive for a second or two before dying again.

I can't think what can have caused this malfunction.  The laptop worked fine in September (its only use in the whole year) and since then has been sitting in a case on the desk for nearly three months; no knocks, no movement, nothing that explains its current malaise.  Any further ideas would be much appreciated.  Shall I try hitting it with a large hammer?

I might add that I am sending this from an old faithful desktop.

All the best and much gratitude

A.

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

January 14th, 2013 11:00

Hi astrolabe59,

Please private message the system service tag to check the system information and assist you further.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

No Events found!