Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2010 16:00

Inspiron Recovery and BIOS

For those considering buying a Dell or other brand laptop, I have a few choice words for you.

I've owned over 20 laptops from every brand available in the U.S. via retail store or online ordering.  It is important to me to have a laptop with a BIOS that allows me to customize my computer as much as possible.  It is also important (to me) to have several options when it comes to recovering the computer to factory-default OS & Applications.

Dell wins the prize in both categories.  My new Inspiron 1440 has a highly configurable BIOS, is Linux-compatible and allowed me to write the recovery "disks" to a a USB flash drive.  After wiping the hard drive clean to install Linux for a while, today I ran the recovery program from the USB flash drive (boot from it) and to my amazement, I not only had the computer back to factory but it also restored both the Utility and Recovery partitions which are both usable again.  I've never seen such a complete and easy  recovery process before on any laptop.  And it was fast, too.  It's the best recovery software available on any consumer laptop anywhere.

Bravo, Dell!

(no, I don't work for Dell or any other computer or software company)

3 Posts

January 16th, 2010 15:00

Hi Raydsbruce,

That's exactly whatI am looking for (on a new desktop). I also want to use Linux on multi boot and am eyeing up that prime real estste on the hard disk taking up 2 primary partitions (recovery and virtual memory). So how did you do it?  Was it all done in 1 operation or 1 for each partition? did the stick have to be formatted to any particular filesystem? Do tell.

No Events found!