Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

A

1 Message

October 4th, 2006 00:00

Inspiron b130 internal sound card dead

Hi i currently purchased the entry level of inspirons (B130 if im not mistaken) and i bought it with the intention of recording audio and editing music since i am a dj and an audio engeneer unfortunately when using my audio editing and recording softwares i get little or no sound through the mic jack and even when using a samson c130 condenser microphone (usb microphone) i still dont get the sound and if i  get it is pretty minimal, SOS SOS SOS HEEEEEEELP!!

any help would be great since i feel useless for investing so much money in a laptop for something that i cant even do!!
my email is ysidro_evangelista@hotmail.com or sauziidominican@hotmail.com any help will be highly and greatfully appreciated
im so frustrated i can barely put 2 and 2 together!! id like also to know if changing the internal sound card of my laptop would be a good option or id have to go for the external ones..!!
 thanks!

October 4th, 2006 08:00

I bought it for music (guitar) but always knowing that I had to buy an external USB soundcard which I have. You not only need the inputs but you need the drivers too (the music software needs these) which the soundcards give you. You can't buy the slot in type cards as they are now using PC ExpressCards and there is a limited amount of cards, if any, available for music input. If your laptop takes PCMIA cards then there are a few choices of internal soundcards for you. Go USB (2.0) until the cards are readily available and you have a choice. Depending on your needs and budget, there are basic USB cards from £60 upwards and the ones for about £150 (cheaper in the states) have everything you need ie digital, optical and analogue in and outs.

I went E-MU which many don't like but is ideal for me but there is M-Audio and many others.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 4th, 2006 11:00

"Hi i currently purchased the entry level of inspirons (B130 if im not mistaken) and i bought it with the intention of recording audio and editing music since i am a dj and an audio engeneer unfortunately when using my audio editing and recording softwares i get little or no sound through the mic jack and even when using a samson c130 condenser microphone (usb microphone) i still dont get the sound and if i get it is pretty minimal, SOS SOS SOS HEEEEEEELP!!"

You can narrow this down to either a software or a hardware problem by running the mic tests in the audio part of Dell Diagnostics. To run Diagnostics restart, and as soon as it starts to boot up hold down f12. Select 'diagnostic' from the boot menu. It will run some tests for a couple of minutes before the diagnostic comes up. When it does select 'custom', then the audio test. This will test your audio system independently of windows and drivers. Alternate between using headphones and listening to speakers in case only one is working.

If Diagnostics doesn't come up after holding f12, you can download the Diagnostic from your downloads page under 'Diagnostic'.

link

Failure of the test means either a hardware problem or a bad external signal path. Since you just got the computer you may want to return it for a refund or repair if you can rule out a bad signal. The repair for audio hardware involves replacing the motherboard.

If it passes the test then the problem is either in Windows, the audio driver, or the software configuration. The first step of a fix would be to reinstall the audio driver several times.

A possible configuration error that it could be: while the usb mic is plugged open Audio Properties (right click on the volume icon on the taskbar and click 'adjust audio properties', or go through the Control Panel/Sounds & Audio Devices Properties). Select the Audio tab. There will be dropdown boxes under 'sound playback' 'sound recording' and 'midi music'. Each box will list the devices that are installed on your computer. Look in the dropdown box under 'sound recording' for a usb device. If it is there, selecting it should enable your mic.

"id like also to know if changing the internal sound card of my laptop would be a good option"

You can't change the internal one. Not only is it integrated onto the motherboard but the motherboard codecs are configured for that audio chip. As strikinglyhandsome said, your only option for an external soundcard is a usb one. But your usb mic is not working and that might indicate a usb problem.

Jim
No Events found!