Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 24th, 2011 08:00

Inspiron n5010 BIOS firmware version

Hi Everyone

I got an Inspiron n5010 with ATI 5xxx 1GB dedicated

Fan makes a lot of noise. and the following post talk about reverting to an older BIOS version :

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19360116.aspx

Has anyone tried that ? Which version is best downgrading to regarding fan noise ?

I'm currently running A10, but it doesn't seems to help to upgrade to A11 (see link above), except for better battery charging support for Ubuntu

DELL Wake Up !

If no update currently, at least give a recommended version

January 25th, 2011 01:00

I have flashed the version A06, using option /forceit on command line (without the /forceit the software refuses to downgrade bios). I choose this one because someone on a forum (sorry, don't have the link anymore) said everything worked fine with his fan with version A06, before upgrading to A11

It seems to work better with the fan. IT stops when the temperature gets lower. I am using dual boot Ubuntu - Windows7, and the behavior with the fan does NOT change from one OS to the other

I am still waiting for DELL to release a new version, because I would like to benefit from improvement of version A07 to A11 and have better fan management

Please post comments on your experience. How is it working for you with other versions ?

January 25th, 2011 03:00

Actually, not sure it got better. I was running on battery, and the fan started and stopped whenever needed. But now that I am running on AC power, charging the battery, it seems that the fan never stop. Probably charging and/or having AC power plugged creates extra heat. And the computer never manages to get to the state where fan should be stopped

EDIT : Once battery was charged, fan went in similar cycle than without AC power. Meaning fan is on from temp > 42 deg (celsius) then turns off when temp around 35deg

I guess charging the battery produces extra heat

January 25th, 2011 06:00

CONCLUSION :

I flashed again the A11, just to see. It seems that A11 changes the temperature readings compare to A06. It is more stable (less jumps between 2 values), but the sensibility seemed to be different as well. Meaning the reading do not get as low with A11 than with A06. So the state when the fan is turned off is not as easily reached. Meaning the fan turns all the time rather than on/off switching.

Also, when fan turns on, the temperature drops pretty quickly, so I don't think that heat sink have problem, but I'm not a cooling expert.

So this laptop does produce a lot of heat, due to ATI graphic card probably (on top of heat produced by i5 processor), that's why fan is on often. Watching a video or playing a game, it's ok, the fan sound is covered by activity sound. I just hope doing office work it won't blow hard all the time...

Please post feedback on your experience with your inspiron n5010. Then we'll see if freaking out, or if I got a bad machine ??

2 Posts

March 4th, 2011 05:00

Nope your machine is fine, i'm facing the same problem.

No Events found!