Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MW

July 13th, 2011 18:00

(Inspriron Mini) PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable PXE-M0F: Exting PXE ROM. Operating System not found....

....So this comes up EVERY TIME i boot my comp... i dont knowwhats going on with it, i have had help from a techy friend.. hasent helped me at all...i dont know what to do...ive tired putting in a windows 7 backup CD...it almost worked...i didnt have a 64bit comp.... some help???

2 Posts

July 13th, 2011 19:00

...OK were am i looking for the Hard Drive... if its under the "Boot" menu it is their but.. it shows it like this > *Hard Drive... this is this odd?...

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 13th, 2011 19:00

Go into the BIOS setup.  If the hard drive isn't listed, it has failed - you'll need to replace it before reloading Windows.

It's not a 64-bit system, so you will need a 32-bit version of Windows.

F2 at powerup to get to the BIOS setup.

2 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 11:00

Im in the same boat. I nearly manged to reinstall my OS which I was told would work but it wont let me because it says the backup is corrupt or missing, quite frankly this seems a common problem and dell told me they would charge £70 to speak to an "adviser" in a call center in India to fix the software problem! Over £400 pounds on this notebook and its accessories and this is what I get? I must say Ive never been more dissatisfied with a company in my life and since this thing is still brand new (it hasnt been used since it was bought) Im absolutely disgusted that dell would fail to highlight these issues before I bought the useless thing, every website ive checked has had scores of posts on the same problem and no easy fix, even if this does get fixed Il never buy another dell in my life.

Please tell me its simple to fix this

1 Message

January 1st, 2012 03:00

After selecting F2--look under MAIN for Fixed HDD:  if you have a listing it is there -- if it says none, your hard drive crashed.

1 Message

May 8th, 2012 10:00

I have the same problem and it shows I have a good hard drive...I can install Lynux but not windows...any help

1 Message

October 19th, 2013 18:00

Dell Inspiron 910 Windows XP model pp39s.

I cannot get to any menus to troubleshoot.

When booting I get

1) PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable.

PXE-m0F: exiting PXE Rom

Operating System not found. .

Thanks

April 28th, 2015 19:00

I have the exact same message...under the Main menu Fixed HDD says... [10GB] ...I am interested only in getting in long enough to recover my data..pictures, documents, etc...Is there a way to retreive it or fix the problem, even if temporary?

No Events found!