Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

May 11th, 2013 14:00

Is Inspiron 14R-5421 laptop compatible with SATA 3 (6Gbps) ?

Hey guys,

This laptop came with a Seagate 1TB SATA2 5400 RPM HD.

Now I'm wondering whether it's only the HD that is SATA2 and my MoBo is SATA3 compatible or whether my entire system including MoBo is only SATA2 compatible.

I've called Dell technical support about 4 times and I got different answers in all of the calls. Sometimes Dell's representatives said it is SATA3, sometimes they said it is SATA2 :emotion-6:

Due to the different responses I got from Dell's representatives I'm really confused now.

By looking at the specs (at Dell's website) , the only info I'm able to get about my laptop is that it is "SATA compatible". No details about whether or not it is SATA2 or SATA3 compatible.

As this is a model launched recently (it seems 14R-5421 was launched in Jan/2013 ), I believe it is SATA3 and only the HD is SATA2, but I'm not sure though.

Any expert able to answer this simple question ? :emotion-2:

I would fully appreciate if you could also provide any link confirming this information.

Cheers.

21 Posts

May 11th, 2013 15:00

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The chipset model for this laptop is the Intel HM76 Mobile Express which according to Intel's website provides up to six SATA ports with up to two ports supporting 6 Gb/s transfer rates.

So, do you believe that any of these "possible" two ports is the one I can use to plug my SATA3 SSD or SSHD ?

Thanks for your time reading it.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 11th, 2013 15:00

The controller supports 6G  SATA.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 11th, 2013 17:00

The system supports only one hard  drive (or SSHD) -- that port is SATA 6G.

No Events found!