Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

68 Posts

August 21st, 2006 01:00

Is heat a problem on CPt?

I'm refurbishing an old CPt from 2 laptops.  It works fine except that it crashes.  Sometimes the screen goes "blocky" then it shuts down.

One of the problems with the original laptop was a bad cooling fan (bad bearings).  So I put the fan from the donor into it.  So far, the fan hasn't come on.  Maybe it's a bad connection.  But also maybe it's just never gotten hot enough to come on.

Is there any way to TELL if the laptop is getting too hot and the fan SHOULD be coming on?  Maybe a utility to tell?

68 Posts

August 21st, 2006 03:00

Cool.  I did a search for it and downloaded.  It works great on my main laptop - it will be EXACTLY what I need to test that fan.  Also it will tell a lot if the heat spikes just before a crash!  LOL!

The old fan worked somewhat but man oh man was it noisy (bad bearings I guess).

Any idea at what temp a system will crash?

68 Posts

Hey, here's one other thought.

When I pulled the fan, I noticed the cooling unit was "stuck" to the CPU itself with some kind of goop (for lack of a better term).  I placed the copper heat sink back OVER the CPU but it's no longer "gooped" on.

Could this make a difference, that level of contact?

4.2K Posts

Hi,

There are a couple of things worth a try, using the Diags you can run the fan. You can also install a program called I8KfanGUI which will let you keep an eye on heat and fan control. It can be downloaded free.

Regards Chris

4.2K Posts

Hi,

It should shut down after around 70 degrees C. It shouldnt crash, just turn off. In a perfect world at least......... The heat may be causing trouble with memory or seating.

Regards Chris

4.2K Posts

Hi,

You snuck that Post in before I replied, the thermal pad is needed. You may be able to use thermal paste instead. I havnt done so, maybe a new post about it will get you an exact answer rather than a guess.

Regards Chris

68 Posts

August 21st, 2006 04:00

Thanks.  The pad is partially there but it pulled apart.  Maybe if you don't know, someone reading this will know where I can get that or the paste.

I wonder how MUCH it would affect things.  Sure, it's IDEAL, but would it make a vast difference or just a few degrees?

As for the shutting down, maybe the computer isn't CRASHING per se.  Normally it just shut down.  Only twice did I see the strange appearance on the screen (this is while I was re-installing windows).  The fan never came on so it will be interesting to know if I just didn't get it plugged in right or if it never worked.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 22nd, 2006 21:00

Oiling the fan bearings never hurts.  I8Kfangui can force the fans on all the time.
If you are using XP I also highly recommend speedswitch XP

68 Posts

August 23rd, 2006 08:00

Here's a twist in this.

I used the fan gui.  Great utility!  Well, on this machine, I COULD turn on the fan.  However at the point I tried turning on the temp control, the system hung.  When I tried turning on the various heat monitors other than just the CPU, the system hung.  I haven't tried enough things to be 100% sure this was the cause and not just coincidental timiing but it looks like it.

Well, I turned on the fan manually and I managed to run the machine for quite a while without any strange crashes.  So while heat MAY have been an issue, the fan not working isn't the problem.

Could a bad connection in the fan cause this problem?

Anyway, I had one little oddidty - I head a "beep beep beep" like a PC speaker for a while.  I could still type properly.  Then it stopped.  I have no idea if this is related to the crash but it's my only lead.  Could I have something not plugged in properly?  Does this sound at all familiar?

No Events found!