Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2011 12:00

Issue with Dell Inspiron LOST DATA

I hope I posted this in the right forum.  Anyways, I got a strange error message this morning on my Dell Inspiron N7010.  It mentioned something about the hard drive.  I shut down my computer.  I opened it in safe mode, removed what may have been a virus, and restarted it.  Everything was back to normal, except all of my documents, videos and pictures are now GONE. 

I did a system restore.  When the computer restarted, I got en error message saying something about the videos file wasn't able to restore.  I again restored the computer, this time to a different date.  This time, no error message.  But my pics, documens and videos are still gone.

Strange enough, I still have some files.  My broadband card is still installed on the desktop.  My desktop wallpaper is still the same, and my recycle bin has the same files in it (not the ones I'm looking for, though).

I don't need any of the documents or pictures (those are backed up) but I do need to recover some of the videos.  Can anybody offer any help?  I'm kinda freaking out because I heard it can cost $1,500 to recover data.

Are there any suggestions I could try right now at home?  Thanks!

P.S. I have a Windows 7

October 3rd, 2011 12:00

Edit to add: The files I removed once I started in safe mode were named: WindowsUpdate.log    ntbtlog.txt   and bootstat.dat.  All were installed or updated within 5 minutes of the first error message abou the hard drive.  They're still in my recycle bin.

October 3rd, 2011 13:00

Okay, I just realized the files I mentioned above should NOT have been moved to the recyle bin. They are not viruses, they are needed for start-up purposes.  Should I attempt to restore the files I mentioned?  Could that solve the problem????

Thanks for any help.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

It can cost $5000 or more to recover data.

Depends on what needs to be done.

Doing system restores with unknown good points makes things worse.

Okay, I'm sorry for all the replies by me.  I fixed the problem and I'm soooooo totally proud of my awesomeness!!!

I went to video, right click, then clicked "properties".  In the properties box, click "previous versions".  All done!

1 Message

October 5th, 2011 04:00

The risk of data loss is always prevalent. However, products like Kernel for Windows Data Recovery make things easier for us during actual data loss disasters. These small but highly capable tools recover every trace of corrupted or deleted data as you restore your system then it can help you resolving your problem.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 5th, 2011 05:00

While that may have been the intention the restore points and recycle bin make it harder to get rid of some malware.

Not a good substitute for full image backups onto offline media.

No Events found!