Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2012 07:00

Keyboard and touchpad on Inspiron 1545 not working

Recently I switched from McAfee to Norton. After running a complete scan the internal keyboard and touchpad stopped working altogether.  I am able to use an external keyboard and mouse, but not the touchpad nor the keyboard on the laptop.

Obviously some files have been deleted (there were three viruses found, as well).  Any help you can give to help me get back functionality would be great.

PS - When I run the "repair" option after pressing the F8 button I am able to use the touchpad and keyboard, but not when it reboots.

Thanks for your help. 

1 Message

March 6th, 2012 10:00

The Best bet would be to get you data off your laptop and reload the OS Via Dell disk. Once you deleted the virus it corrupted your OS. That should fix the problem..If it doesn't fix the problem then it's your keyboard. "I don't think so though"

2 Posts

March 7th, 2012 07:00

Good advice - thanks!  I've now got the touchpad and keyboard back, but, of course, lost my programs.  Most frustrating is that for some reason I can't get the wireless connection to work.  Would that have been effected by this upgrade?  If so, what do I need to do to get my wireless up and running again?  

I get my wireless, btw, through a local internet/TV provider with a provided box.  

Thanks for your help. 

1 Message

September 3rd, 2012 00:00

my problem is a little different and may be just the hardware.  the letters m and n are not working on my keyboard (i have another keyboard plugged in).  can this be fixed or is the laptop now pretty much useless.  i would have expected longer service from a Dell computer

2K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 06:00

Hi horrieglen,

The keyboard not working may be due to a hardware failure or a software failure.

Let’s follow the steps below to check what may be causing this issue:

(1) Restart the system.

(2) At the Dell logo, keep tapping the ‘F8’ key.

(3) Select ‘Repair your computer’ and hit the ‘Enter’ key.

(4) A blue screen with four options should now appear. Please select the command prompt option.

(5) Now check if all the keys on the keyboard work.

(6) If all the keys work, it indicates that this must be a software issue. And if they don’t, it’s a clear indication of the hardware going bad.

Request you to write back with the findings.

2K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 06:00

Hi jhubers,

The wireless issue can be fixed by downloading the latest drivers using the link below:

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15

Once you are on the link provided above,

(1) Select the operating system.

(2) Click on network.

(3) Select the right driver for the laptop.

(4) Please follow on screen instruction to finish downloading the driver.

I hope you find this useful.

Request you to write back with your findings.

1 Message

February 21st, 2013 09:00

DELL-KIRAN K

I have an Inspiron N5110 and though the keyboard works fine , which is what I realized after following your above mentioned instructions... But the issue is my touchpad refuses to work after 3 minutes of opening my home screen , post which even the keyboard stops functioning... Could you help me with this issue ???

Ipshita Mukherji

2K Posts

February 22nd, 2013 01:00

Hi imukherji,

The keyboard not working may be due to a hardware failure or a software failure:

Let’s follow the steps below to check what may be causing this issue:

(1) Restart the system.

(2) At the Dell logo, keep tapping the ‘F8’ key

(3) Using up/down arrow keys move to safe mode

(4) Hit enter key.

1 Message

March 4th, 2013 04:00

I have a problem with my dell inspiron 1545 , the letters yxcvbnm and the right click   are not working on my keyboard , i don't know if this is a problem with the key board, pls need help

2K Posts

March 4th, 2013 05:00

Hi ledii92,

Request you to follow the below steps to check if the keyboard and Touchpad have failed:

(1) Hold FN key and press the power button.

(2) This initiates a diagnostic test.

(3) Select touchpad and keyboard.

(4) Make a note of the error code that appears (if any)

(5) Also you may check with an external keyboard if it works.

Do reply if you have any questions.

1 Message

December 22nd, 2013 07:00

All the keys are working on the command prompt...so how do I fix the keyboard software ?  Reinstall the driver ?

1 Message

April 29th, 2014 14:00

I have an old Inspiron 1545.  Yesterday the trackpad, buttons, and externally connected mouse stopped working.  I have uninstalled and resinstalled drivers and still nothing.  I have rebooted and nothing.  I am getting a Code 10 in device manager for the trackpad now.  Any ideas?

No Events found!