Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2013 00:00

Laptop sound not working properly??

Hi, i have a Dell Inspiron N7110 and i feel like my speakers arent working properly, they sound muffled, and on the bottom of my computer there looks like there are 4 different spots the sound comes from, and its only coming from one of them. I just got this computer from a friend to use for a while, so i dont know how it sounded before, or how its supposed to sound, but it says that it has "srs premium sound" but it sounds real <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> . Is there a setting i can change to make the sound better? I just installed Windows 8 on it, so maybe it changed something?? I can hear sound coming from the other speaker parts, but the music isnt coming out. Also, when i plug in a speaker, or headphones into the headphone port, the sound doesnt come through the headphones, it just keeps coming through the computer, and yes im plugging them into the right port. Again, is there a setting i need to change? Anything will really help. Thanks

August 6th, 2013 01:00

Hi makaylarae95

Appreciate your observation here. Please run the PC diagnostics and reply with your findings. To perform PC diagnostics follow this link.

http://dell.to/11GelRo

Click on symptom and select no sound and run the diagnostics.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 6th, 2013 04:00

Hello. After you installed 8, did you install the Realtek audio driver? Windows has a generic driver that will produce sound but it will not work as good as the manufacturer's driver. To check if you have the Realtek driver, go to the Sound properties (right click the audio icon on the taskbar, then "playback devices") and look for the words "Realtek High Definition Audio". If the word "Realtek" is missing then you should install the driver.

on the bottom of my computer there looks like there are 4 different spots the sound comes from, and its only coming from one of them.

Your model has 2 stereo speakers plus one "sub-woofer".

Also, when i plug in a speaker, or headphones into the headphone port, the sound doesnt come through the headphones, it just keeps coming through the computer,

The headphone jack should work properly under the initial configuration after the driver is installed. A setting that can affect the headphone jack is if it is made the default communication device (instead of the default playback device), in which case it will be reserved for communications audio and regular audio will continue through the speakers. If the headphone jack issue is being caused by a configuration issue, then re-installing the driver will fix it because doing that will return all audio settings back to their defaults. If re-installing the driver does not fix it then it could be a hardware fault.

No Events found!