Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2016 13:00

Laptop will not connect wirelessly

I just received my Dell Inspiron 5558 Service Tag:<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> Express Service Code: <ADMIN NOTE: Express service code removed per privacy policy>on 01/19/2016. Since then I have been trying to connect it wirelessly  to my network. I can connect through a ethernet cable plugged directly into my FIOS router. When I enter my SSID and password I either get a the message "Cannot connect to this network" or it appears to just stop looking. I have tried many, many times but so far nothing. Today I finally connected the my laptop to my router and started to use the support page on Dell.com. The first thing is sign in and have my laptop detected by the support page. It has now been 15 minutes and I am still getting the message "Please wait while we detect your product. This may take a few minutes. While I was waiting I decided to compose this message and put it on the forum. HELP!

16 Posts

January 21st, 2016 19:00

I finally got my laptop connected to my network wirelessly. I'm not sure what did the trick but I did some things I should have tried from the beginning; reset my router changed everything in the process, password, SSID, some security settings, making my SSID discoverable to other networks. after I put my router back online, viola it worked. I will consider this problem solved.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 21st, 2016 16:00

:emotion-2:

Product Support - Dell Inspiron 5558

www.dell.com/.../diagnose

16 Posts

January 21st, 2016 17:00

I have to admit to being very disappointed  with this answer based on the fact that part of my problem was that several hours ago I clicked on detect my product and I am still waiting for the website to detect anything. I will certainly give this a shot, but confidence is not high.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2016 06:00

:emotion-2:

Great news! I'm glad you fix your laptop and thanks for sharing the solution to fixing it. 

16 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 14:00

I think I discovered the reason my laptop wouldn't connect to my network. It doesn't make much sense to me but here it is. One of the things I did after doing a hard reset on my router was to enable "SSID Broadcast". It always made sense to me to take this security step of disabling SSID Broadcast, so the reason I disabled it was the same reason I changed my SSID and password, basically just taking stabs in the dark to see if I could get my laptop to connect. After getting the connection I decided to reverse one of those changes, namely disabling the SSID broadcast, and just as I thought it had not effect on my connection. Today after several hours of congratulating myself for solving this problem I lost my connection to my network on this laptop again and was not able to get the connection back no matter what I tried until I tried re-enabling SSID Broadcast and immediately my connection magically reappeared. The reason I am posting this is, for one, to let other people know this is a thing and to ask the question, why would this be?

No Events found!