Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2012 07:00

Laptop won't turn on

Hi I am experiencing a major problem with my insparon laptop. When I press the power button the battery and charging light flash once and the computer makes a clicking noise. I used it yesterday morning and it was working fine, i had no error messages when it was running and it shut down like normal. I tried to use it last night and it just wouldn't turn on.

I cannot get hold of anyone in the technical support team as the woman keeps telling me the office is shut despite the opening hours being 9 - 6 on a saturday.

Please can someone held and restore my faith in dell (worth giving it a shot...)? Thanks, K 

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 19th, 2012 07:00

Hi CrowK,

Welcome to the Community,

Since it sounds like an issue with the Power first try to release flea power.Disconnect the charger,remove battery,press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.Reconnect the battery and charger.Turn on system and check if it turns on.

For further  help post your system model number (Example Inspiron 1720 ). Also confirm if the light on the charger stays on,when connected to the system.

Thank You

Roshan

6 Posts

May 20th, 2012 13:00

I have tried this and the laptop will start sometimes now however I am still experiencing the problem. The computer is an Inspiron N5040.

It actually makes a beeping noise as well. A light on the disk drawer flashes also. It's as if it's trying to start but can't complete the full process.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 22nd, 2012 03:00

Hi CrowK,

Beeps can be used as diagnostic indicator.Could you observe and confirm how many beeps you hear? Example 2 beeps or 7 beeps.

4 Posts

May 23rd, 2012 02:00

hi sorry for asking but i too have a dell inspiron n5040  that wont boot im getting 7 beeps and thats it .nothing comes up on the screen,any help would be much appreciated

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 23rd, 2012 09:00

Hi niko32,

On Inspiron n5040 7 beeps indicates processor failure.

Is your system covered under warranty?

Let me know if you have any further query.

Thank You

Roshan

6 Posts

May 24th, 2012 14:00

It originally beeped once after making a clicking noise however now it's making 4 loud beeping noises and refusing to do anything. I desperately need this laptop fixed as I am a student trying to finish course work for the year. I had to raise a formal complaint about the laptop when i first got it because of errors on dell's behalf and now it's really upset me I am having these problems. Can this issue be dealt with without me having to call the 0844 number as i waste so much money previously calling re. my initial complaint.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 25th, 2012 03:00

Hi CrowK,

4 beeps indicate Memory read / write failure.So you can try removing both memory modules and try using one memory module, at a time on each of the two slots and see if the system works with one of the memory module.

Follow the steps on the link below to remove memory modules:

http://dell.to/JXLaFi

Is you system still covered under warranty?

If its covered under warranty,click on my user name,add me as friend  and private message the system service tag number along with friend request.I can check your system details  and get back to you with repair options.

Thank You

1 Message

May 30th, 2012 16:00

Hi, my lap top too wont turn on.

previous my lap top would just make a beeping noise and not turn on, I would wait and it would finally turn on with out issues. it only did this maybe two times before.

this time even when hit the power button nothing happens. it did the beeping thing a couple of times and it stayed black. now nothing, no beep and the power button does not even turn on. its an Inspiron N5110

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

June 1st, 2012 08:00

Hi taylorwp,

Check if the light on charger stays on when its plugged into the system.If yes,disconnect the charger,remove the battery,press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.Reconnect  the battery and charger,turn on the system and see if there is any change.

If the charger light comes on and the LED on the power button does not come on,it could be an issue with the motherboard or the daughter board which holds the power supply port.

Is your system within warranty?

Thank You

1 Message

July 21st, 2012 12:00

-Hi I am having the same issue with my Dell PP31L and it turns on but it shows me a black screen, I don't know why all of a sudden it started doing that. ): Please help me I really need my laptop without being formatted!

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

July 26th, 2012 05:00

Hi  BrendaRojas,

Welcome to the Community,

I assume you've tried the steps given in my previous post. Does the system power light stay on? Do you hear any beep sounds when you turn on the system? If the system stays on,try connecting an external monitor and confirm if you get display on the external monitor.

The system you have is that a Dell Studio notebook?

August 9th, 2012 17:00

i have the same problem niko32 has i have no warranty how much would this cost because i just got it and it juss randomly stoped working.. help!

1 Message

August 11th, 2012 08:00

I have had the same issues... power on for 2 secs., black screen, randomly stops, won't turn off and out of warranty...

I feel that it's the on/off switch mounted on the hinge...  maybe a design flaw where on/off switch is located that causes these issues to occur...  a $15 part may be the problem and a youtube video may be a solution (???)...

3 Posts

September 19th, 2012 21:00

my dell inspiron n4050 no display and beep 7 times.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

September 20th, 2012 00:00

Hi rustan,

As laptop is beeping 7 times and not turning on, this indicates that there is a processor failure in the laptop.

Changing the motherboard/processor of your laptop could fix the problem.

In case the system has active warranty, please private message the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name. 
To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation. 

To check the Warranty status use this link:  http://tinyurl.com/5r4b8j

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!