Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

May 16th, 2008 15:00

Latitude D630 - Freezes with External USB Drive but USB stick is ok

I have a brand new Latitude D630 (Windows XP SP2) and when I connect a segate external portable drive to the USB ports (using a Y cable so that it gets enough power) the Pc grinds to a halt (can't open a browser window  etc etc). I tried the same external drive on another laptop (Latitude D630 as well) and that is ok. Tried it on some desktops and they are also ok. If I plug in a USB memory stick that is ok - presumbly it is drawing less power).

617 Posts

May 16th, 2008 23:00

Try the other USB hub. If that still doesn't work, plug in one in the back and one on the side.

1.8K Posts

May 19th, 2008 19:00

Does the seagate drive require both USB plugs to be plugged in?  Just because it came with a Y cable does not mean that it will require both of them to be plugged in.  Try plugging in just the data cable to one USB port and see if it works.

May 20th, 2008 06:00

I've been busy with other problems but I'm back now.

I've tried connecting it to a powered USB hub and that did not make any difference. What I have observed though is this. When the external drive is connected to the laptop it recognises that there is a new device attached - I see a message in the notification area that a new drive has been detected STxxxxx (I'm using a 160Gb Seagte Portable drive btw). This disappears after a few seconds. I would expect the new drive to appear in Windows Explorer. What happens is that I am not able launch any applications, I can go to the control panel and click on Add Hardware. It comes back with an error message saying "Cannot run two device installations. You can install one device at a time. Another device installation is underway, when it is finished you can try this again."

1.8K Posts

May 20th, 2008 13:00

Have you tried waiting for a while to see if the installation will complete?  Even if this takes a while, on subsequent uses, the computer should recognize the same hardware much faster.

3 Posts

June 9th, 2008 12:00

I don't know about the original poster, but, I _have_ let the computer "sit and do it's thing" for up to an hour and it never comes back once it's frozen.  As far as process explorer is concerned, the computer is doing nothing, but, new programs won't open.  It's very odd!

3 Posts

June 9th, 2008 12:00

I am having the exact same problem.  I have found that all external HDs will work the first time, but, subsequent connections to the computer cause the freeze/slow down that you've mentioned.  I have upgraded to SP3, no joy.  I have removed all USB devices from device manager and let the computer redetect, no joy.  It fails using any of the four connectors on the d630 itself and it fails if I'm docked and a usb drive is plugged into the dock.  I have also found that if you have the usb drive connected on power up that everything works just fine once you get into windows.  These same USB devices work just fine using an Ubuntu Live CD and on other computers.  So, there appears to be some interation between the windows usb stack and the dell hardware, but, I have no idea what it might be.  I would LOVE to have this working as I've gotten very used to using my USB external drives w/o having to worry about it.  Any and all thoughts are welcome.  Thanks!

June 9th, 2008 14:00

I've been too busy recently to dig any further but I hope to have another stab at it later in the week. I've been using the external drive on a HP 6715s notebook without any problems as a temporary measure. :smileyhappy:

I was thinking of taking off XP and putting on Vista. I have my doubts about the XP build that Dell have put on. 

617 Posts

June 10th, 2008 00:00

@zoomzoomvince wrote:

I was thinking of taking off XP and putting on Vista. I have my doubts about the XP build that Dell have put on. 

Go ahead and give it a try, it won't hurt. I never use the preinstalled OS as there's too much junk installed like driver utilities/apps, trialware, customizations, etc.

3 Posts

June 11th, 2008 12:00

Hmm, I'll have to give that a shot this weekend.  I'm using ESET NOD32.  I'll post here once I've had a chance to check it out.  Thanks for the idea!

/mtb

June 11th, 2008 12:00

I have fixed my problem and it was easier than I thought.

I rebooted my machine and went into safe mode and I was surprised that the USB HD worked every time that I connected it.

I then went back into Normal mode and I uninstalled my anti-virus software (McAfee Enterprise) and rebooted. Logged in as normal and connected my USB HD - surprise surprise it worked and it still works after a few plugin and unplug sessions.

So I am going to try AVG instead.

No Events found!