Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

November 19th, 2008 20:00

Latitude D630 Internal Mic Issue

I have been having an issue with my Latitude D630.  I am unable to activate my internal microphone.  I have tried to utilize voice chat programs such as Yahoo and MSN.  When I enable the voice chat function, the microphone does not work.  When I look at the Control Panel in the Sounds and Audio Devices,  the device selected is "Microphone" and not "Internal Mic".  I have tried numerous time to select the "Internal Mic" and am able to select it, but it seems that the next time that I want to do use the program again the exact same thing must be done.  For some reason, the "Microphone" option keeps being reselected without my choice.  I am do not know how to solve this issue.  I have looked through the message board and have seen where some others have had similar problems or the reverse problem.  There have been some solutions offered but none of them relate to my system Latitude D630.

I spoke with a tech support person who did not know how to solve the issue.  She suggested that I reinstall Windows.  I don't believe this is the issue because the internal mic had worked in the past.  Does anyone have a solution and could they walk me through the correction?  I am thinking that this might be registry issue.

Thanks for any and all help in resolving this issue.  It has been rather frustrating!

Jason

1 Message

November 23rd, 2008 01:00

I am using this Dell D630 Latitude notebook for about 4 months now after using IBM Thinkpad T40 for more than 3 years. This internal microphone thing in Dell annoys me so much that I feel like throwing the notebook from my Window. How much of a genius quotient is required to understand this problem by Dell engineers ?  When I do Google search for this problem, there are thousand of users having the same problem. There is this Intellisonic thing, that disables the internal mic when you click on voice chat program. It expects you to use External Mic. If this is the case then why the built -in internal mic ?

I just wish Dell Engineers do somethin for this.

1 Message

December 8th, 2008 10:00

Go to Control Panel

Open "Speech"

Make sure you are on the "Speech Recognition" tab (at the top)

Click "Audio Input" under "Microphone"

Choose "Use this audio input device" and choose the appropriate device (for most users it should be Sigma Tel Audio and in most cases that will be the only one) from the drop down menu.

Then, click "Properties" and choose "Use this audio input line" and choose "Internal Mic" from the drop down menu.

Click OK, OK and you are back in the "Speech Properties" window.

Start talking to the computer and you should see the "Level" bar under "Microphone" moving back and forth. If you see this, you are good to go. Click OK to exit the window. If you dont see it, restart the computer and check the "Level" bar again. If you still cant get it to work, curse the computer, curse Dell, curse all technologies, curse the world, get a couple beers, and hope one day it will start working again.

2 Posts

December 8th, 2008 17:00

Thanks for your help.  I followed your directions and when I choose the Sigma Tel Audio I went to click on the "Properties" button but it was not able to be clicked.  Any idea how to make the button functional?  I did try to connect to Yahoo Messenger after I did the steps that I was able to do but it still did not work.

Thanks again!

Jason

December 20th, 2008 07:00

Hello Guys.....Even I am facing a similar problem with my latitude D830 lapi.......

Neither of my Internal Mic nor Line in is working. Both were workin earlier and on one bad day both suddenly stopped working.

If I connect an external Mic its being detected but doesnt work......:-(((((((

Tried eveything but nothing seems to make my Mic workin........

2 Posts

January 6th, 2009 13:00

Has anyone found the solution to this?  I found that when I plug my external mic in, it doesn't recognize it, but when I UN-plug it, the internal mic starts working!  As it is now, I'm sat here in my hotel room without my external mic and I can't get my internal mic working!!  If someone knows how, please let me know.

1 Message

January 6th, 2009 13:00

Hey! so i bought the 13" mac yesterday and its sooo confuzzlin'!~ give me some halp?

2 Posts

January 7th, 2009 01:00

Ok, the problem was that *something* is automatically switching the voice input to 'microphone' (which apparently means an external microphone) when you use certain? software.  A workaround is Control Panel -> Sound and Audio Devices -> Voice Tab -> and click 'Volume' under the Voice Recording section.  Here you'll see a checkmark under 'Microphone'.  Once you start up your voice call, you have to then click 'Select' under 'Internal Mic'.  This should cause your internal mic to start functioning again for your voice call.  The trick is to start the voice call first, THEN switch to the internal mic.

2 Posts

August 28th, 2009 11:00

I HAVE A DELL 1720 AND THE INTERNAL MIC NEVER WORKED. I GOT IT TO WORK. FOLLOW THESE STEPS AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL WORK FOR YOU ALSO.

1. GO TO DELL OFFICIAL WEBSITE AND CLICK ON SUPPORT

2. CLICK ON DRIVERS & DOWNLOADS

3. CHOOSE YOUR PRODUCT MODEL AND PRODUCT LINE AND ALSO PRODUCT NUMBER FROM THE LIST. CLICK ON CONFIRM

4. YOU WILL SEE RESULTS. THIS IS AN AUDIO PROBLEM SO CLICK ON AUDIO AND THEN ON THE DRIVER CALLED "SIGMATEL"

5. DOWNLOAD AND SET UP FOLLOWING THE USUAL DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS. 

THIS SHOULD WORK FOR YOU AND SOLVE YOU INTERNAL MIC ISSUES. NOW I CAN SKYPE AND USE GOOGLE CHAT PERFECTLY WITH INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL MICROPHONES.

1 Message

March 4th, 2012 11:00

Thank you so much!  You are my hero.  I have been fighting for 2 days to get my external microphone to work.  Thank you again.

No Events found!