Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2016 08:00

Latitude E7440 HDD SSD extension not possible?

I have a DELL Latitude E7440 with a 100 or 128 GB SSD. There is a free position for another hard-drive. I want to add another hard-drive because the 100GB is too small. I have contacted Dell Germany and tried to get clarification of the following questions:

- is it possible to add another hard-drive or do I need to replace the SSD?

- what do I need to order next to the hard-drive? Cables, frame, rubber strips?

- do I need a 5 or a 7 mm HDD?

- how much does it cost?

Current status is a recommendation from Dell Germany to order the spares at Amazon because they cannot order them. I get no further information on what is required. All I got was an offer for the biggest and most expensive SSD possible, without any cables, etc. Which basically means I will have to buy a new laptop with a bigger hard-drive, and it will not be a DELL.

Can anybody provide any information? I was hoping DELL US is able to provide the information, but I have no further contact details.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 13th, 2016 11:00

Greetings MichielDeRuyter,

Thank you for your post.

The Latitude E7440 has a few drive options.

1. The WWAN slot doubles as a mSATA drive slot - So you can have either 1 WWAN card or 1 mSATA drive in this port at any one time. The requirements are: mSATA drive and one M2X3 screw part number 4270E

2. The main bay accommodates either 1x 2.5 inch 5MM drive or 1x mSATA card.

-In order to install a mSATA card into the 2.5 inch bay, you need the below parts:

1x HH0YC - HDD cable

1x FCN4M - 5MM HDD bracket

1x 7NFCY - mSATA board

1x 3.8MM -  MCARD hard drive

5x 4270E -  M2.0x3.0 screw - PICs below:

2 of them go here:

2 others go here:

1 for the end:

4x 63PDH - M2.5x5.0 screw - PIC below:

In order to install a 5MM drive you need:

1x 1WJRG - 5MM drive sponge ( provides a soft support between bottom cover and HDD )

1x 0WPRM - 5MM Support Bracket

2x H42Y3 -  5MM Isolation rubber

x4 63PDH -  M2.5x5.0 ( these hold 0WPRM to the base of the unit )

You can see the sponge and support bracket below:

May 17th, 2016 02:00

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your reply and the extensive information! Dell Germany has come back after a few days with some answers. I have ordered the 500GB HDD including the required hardware. I was promised that everything will be included, but the exact scope is not very clear. The prices are way over the top, but that is the trouble with monopolies. Delivery will be in about 3 weeks (?!). We'll see what happens. I will post my experience for learning and enjoyment of others :)

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 31st, 2016 10:00

Hi MichielDeRuyter,

Thanks for getting back. I just did an edit to my previous post and included the screw parts numbers, sizes and how many of each you need.

I hope all goes well with your drive installation.

No Events found!