Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

2 Posts

October 21st, 2004 19:00

Looking for Dell Monitor Profiles (*.ICM) - Inspiron 9100 Notebook LCD

Does anyone know where to find the *.icm monitor profiles, if they even exist?  I need to load them into Corel Photo-Paint and PhotoShop to perform digital photo enhancements and make sure I have the proper colors/hues/etc.

Also, if available, it would be nice to have the profiles for Dell's other items like their printers (all-in-one 922).

Anyone?

(BTW... my system has the ATI Mobility Radion 9800 graphics card)

Message Edited by CSimet on 10-21-2004 04:14 PM

October 22nd, 2004 09:00

For what you're trying to do, your best bet is to invest in a monitor calibration system. Laptop displays are difficult to get under control for image editing due to the fact that there are no separate RGB adjustments. You can get reasonably close though if you use calibration software with a good spectrometer. You might want to check out the Spyder Pro http://www.colorvision.com or GretagMacbeth’s Eye1 packages www.i1color.com 

I use the EyeOne Photo system. It does a pretty decent job at calibrating laptop displays, and also gives you the ability to create profiles for your printers and paper combinations. It's a bit expensive but well worth the money if you're serious about color.

Also I should mention that I've found that despite my most determined efforts, Photo Paint is simply not as 'color savvy' as Photoshop. In my opinion, unless something has changed since version 9, Photo Paint's internal color management simply doesn't compare with Photoshop. Just my 2 cents.

JJ

Dell Inspiron XPS Pentium® 4 Processor 3.40GHz w/ HT Tech, 15.4-in WUXGA / Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional / 1GB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz / 256MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9800 AGP 8X Graphics / 60GB Hard Drive at 7200RPM / 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+RW/+R) w/dbl-layer write capability / Dell® Wireless 1450 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g, 54Mbps) / 96 WHr 12-cell Primary Battery with Subwoofer / Exclusive XPS BackPack / 4 Year Limited Warranty plus 4 Year At-Home Service plus Nights and Weekend / Red QuickSnap™ Cover / Modular 3.5 Floppy Disk Drive / Etymotic Ear Buds/ Iomega 80 Gb External HD

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2004 22:00

Thanks for the help, but (LOL)  $300 - $1400 for a calibration device!?!?!?  I was just looking to get it close with the SW profiles.  I don't print my own, but I'd like to correct my photos before sending them out to a lab/service to have them printed on real photo paper.  I wonder if anyone performs the calibration as a service... you take the laptop in and have it done without the need to buy any device.  I guess I'll keep looking.  Tx. again.

BTW... I agree with the Photo-Paint statement.  I've got PaintShop on the way... Photo-Paint has been a great tool for what I paid for it (<$200), but its like swimming upstream... might as well join the rest of the digital imaging world and learn PaintShop.  :smileyhappy:

October 25th, 2004 17:00

The thing about the calibration device is that you need the software installed on your machine. It loads the monitor profile you created on each startup.

If you're using Adobe Photoshop, you might try the Adobe Gamma program that's part of Photoshop. It's not the greatest, but it's better than nothing, It does change your video card's LUT when you boot up. You'll find it in the control panel, and if you look in your startup folder, you'll see it there also as it loads on startup. If you were to use another calibration system, they suggest removing Adobe Gamma because it would interfere with their startup LUT. 

JJ 
No Events found!