Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

August 7th, 2008 06:00

Loose charger jack on Vostro 1710

I have a new (about 2 month old) Vostro 1710, and recently the charger jack has become loose in the socket, so that to get the machine to charge I have to sit there holding it at an angle. Is this purely a physical problem with the build of the machine? Or is there any way I can fix it without having to go through the hassle of the Dell Tech Support System (Who made a mess of fixing the badly installed drive for the DVD-Rom...)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 7th, 2008 08:00

You must have the mainboard replaced.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 7th, 2008 11:00

Yes.

178 Posts

Yes, it's the motherboard.

This problem isn't isolated to Vostros. This happens because the jack opening on the casing of the laptop is larger than the jack on the motherboard, which allows the jack to move around its pins, eventually causing the pins to lose their connection to the motherboard. It also happens on a range of ASUS laptops.

'Mainboard' - as in motherboard? i.e. the one they replaced last time?! Wonderful. Seriously beginning to wish I hadn't got this machine now!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 12th, 2010 11:00

No need to change your motherboard !

if you have the same problem like me (no charge but functionnal with ac power), just look : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MMww0qLbyU

:)

1 Message

August 15th, 2011 11:00

Well you are not alone for sure... what I found on my 1710 is that the mounting of the jack sleeve breaks away from the motherboard.  I bet your getting a big window that pops up and says it can't charge because of AC Power Adapter can't be verified or something.  If you push gently on the jack, you will see that it moves backward to where not all of the metal pins connect to the AC Adapter insert.  I had to rig mine but I will likely get a new laptop or motherboard.

No Events found!