Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2012 19:00

My Inspiron 17R laptop won't shut down - keeps restarting

I just got this brand new Inspiron 17R laptop last week.  Everything is fine with it, except that when I try to shut down via the shutdown option, it will shut down and then immediately keep restarting over and over again.   The only way I can get it to finally shut down is to actually press the Power button on the laptop.

I have tried asking for help from the Dell support desk, but to no avail.   I would truly appreciate any guidance anyone can provide.   I'm at a complete loss here.

3.8K Posts

January 10th, 2012 23:00

Hi Bab1969,

Welcome to the Community. Click on start, right click on computer, click on properties, click on device manager, click on the symbol next to network adapters, right click on the network card, and click on properties, click on power management, and Uncheck Allow this device to wake up computer. Also press the F2 at the Dell Logo to get into the BIOS and check if you can disable wake up on LAN.

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

1 Message

January 14th, 2012 11:00

i have the same problem, if i remove the battery and power cord and let it sit for a minute it goes back to normal for a short time. dont know what triggers it yet

1 Message

April 4th, 2012 23:00

I also have a new 17R, and am having the same issue. 

Many people advise to edit the BIOS to disable any hardware "Wake on LAN", etc, but when I enter the BIOS via F2 at boot time I don't see this option, or any other hardware related options (i can edit boot order, system time, etc).  I unchecked all the device manager "wake" features when the problem first surfaced.

My only solution so far is to reflash the BIOS, which I've done 3 times now, and each time the problem disappears for a week or two, then reappears.  Today the problem has surfaced again.  I will try the battery removal trick to see if that helps, but I imagine the internal CMOS battery will keep current BIOS settings alive?

3 Posts

February 4th, 2014 02:00

Well, I don't know if it is exactly the same problem but similar, just to share :

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. I've done the same updates. There is another "effect" add to the one you describe : it is totally imposible to shutdonw the system in a normal way, you have to press power button until force it. 

Today I try to contact with DELL for ask them, yesterday I tried to chat with assistance service but they answer me : call to the assistance phone.

Please, any news post here and I will be too. Sorry by my bad english level.

hope we solve it !

No Events found!