Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2012 05:00

N5040 will not boot past f2 / f12 - can anyone please help

First timer so apologies if I am in the wrong spot.

I bought my daughter a n5040 with win 7 and McAfee total protection antivirus. Everything has gone very well until I got a call saying "Dad - my computer will not boot past F2 F12, what do I do". I ran the diagnostics and the hard drive came up with a ? next to it. I tried to go down the f8 route on start up but could not reach the windows advanced option menu - please can someone shed some light on this.....

3.8K Posts

December 16th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. Press the F12 key at the Dell Logo on startup, select Diagnostics and run an extended diagnostics on the hard drive. Post back with any error codes.

If you have an active warranty, send me a Private Message, click on my user name, add me as a friend, and send me your Name, Service Tag, phone number and address.

Thank you.

2 Posts

December 17th, 2012 00:00

Results of the F12 Diagnostics

Hard drive - came up with a yellow triangle with a black exclamation mark warning sign.

Warning message : No hard drive detected. Message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem

All other devices - had a tick once the diagnostics completed.

I bought the laptop in June 2012 from Sainsbury online so should still be under warranty - still looking for the documentation. Final challenge is that the laptop is in South Africa but am flying out there on the 23rd for a couple of weeks so am hoping to be able to get what I need before I fly.

24 Posts

December 17th, 2012 02:00

Which diagnostic? The one in BIOS?

If so, you may have a broken HDD, or possibly a loose connection.

3.8K Posts

December 19th, 2012 06:00

Hi,

As suggested by the previous post, try reseating the hard drive. If that does not work you will need to have it replaced. If the system has an Active Warranty, then send me a Private Message, click on my user name, add me as a friend, and send me your Full Name, Service Tag, and phone number.

Thank you.

No Events found!