Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

January 14th, 2004 23:00

Need Upgrade Advice for Latitude CPT V466GT

Greetings,

I want to upgrade my Latitude CPt V466GT, Window NT Workstation 4.0, Celeron to Windows XP. First question: Is it worth it? Laptop has system memory of only 64MB with video memory of 8MB and internal cache of 126kb. Obviously memory needs to be upgraded. I think increasing the memory to at least 256MB is desireable but according to Dell.com its limit is 512MB. Any recommendations for p/n's and prices?

The final questions are: Can I upgrade from NT to XP? Anyone have any problems going from NT to XP?

Thanks!

4K Posts

January 15th, 2004 16:00

First, you can not upgrade from W-NT, but you can do a clean install and use your W-NT as a "kicker". It is also possible to use a W95 CD as a "kicker"; that is my nickname for using the CD as proof of ownership of a previous Windows version when requested by W-XP setup. Second, your Laptop will use 2 -256mb PC100 SDRAM maximum; I recommend you get name brand memory-Crucial, Kingston, Dell, Centon, PNY and Infineon are some-as generic is sometimes High Density and that doesn't work well in older models. You should buy at least one 128mb module to go with an existing 32mb or 64mb if you contemplate using W-XP. Your CPU speed is fine for both W-XP and Broadband DSL or Cable. You may upgrade your Harddrive to one of the newer 5400 or 7200 rpm units and up to 60gb, but if you use more than 32gb, you may have to partition it. Your laptop will never be a "Gamer's Delight" but it is a very nice unit. I had one previously and sold it to a friend. I have it here again, to install and setup a 40gb Harddrive with W2000 Pro. It will work with the new combo CDRW/DVD ROMs, and with a Margi PCMCIA DVD decoder card, it will play DVDs on the LCD, a External Monitor, and with an S-Video cable, it will display them on your TV equipped with that input. With an S/Video/Composite adapter, that connection is also possible.
   Is it worth it? That is a question you will have to answer for yourself. You may be able to find some of these items on Ebay preowned/used at lower prices.

Good Luck with your endeavors.

4K Posts

January 15th, 2004 16:00

Message Edited by leduke30 on 01-17-2004 08:58 PM

January 17th, 2004 23:00

LEDUKE30,

Thanks for the response. I'm still doing my homework on Ebay for some deals and hopefully can locate additional memory. Once I add things up, memory, hard drive, and W-XP prices, then the decision can be made as to whether it's worth it. Right now I have a line on W-XP for $64.00. Either way, if it works or not it will be a learning experience. I just don't want it to be an expensive learning experience.

Regards,

Grand Poobah
No Events found!