Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

February 9th, 2009 20:00

Need to reformat Dell Latitude D610 - I do not have the restore disk

Hello..... and help!!

I need to restore my pc back to it's original state due to Malware/spyware/etc.  I do not recall receiving a restore disk or just plain can't locate it.   Is there a way I can do so without the disk?

Thanks,

TEXEXE

4.6K Posts

February 10th, 2009 07:00

Welcome to the forums TEXEXE :emotion-21:

Dell don't provide 'Restore' discs, unfortunately.  They simply create a 'Recovery' partition on the hard drive.

Whilst a recovery partition is all good and well whilst the hard drive is working... it means we're all snookered if the hard drive fails!

We'll subsequently never be able to restore our systems to their factory settings again... unless we created our own image of the hard drive before it failed :emotion-43:

Is there not a 'Recovery' partition on your hard drive? 

If there's not, you're going to have to reinstall the OS and all drivers yourself I'm afraid :emotion-6:

But you'll only be able to do that, if you got the OS disc etc with your laptop?

There should've been an OS disc, a Media Direct disc, a 'Drivers & Utilities' disc, and various program discs - i.e. Roxio Creator?

If you've got a 'Recovery' partition, you should be able to access it, by pressing Ctrl + F11 during the boot process?

If you only have the discs... you can use Dell's manual re-installation 'how to' found here.

Once the OS is installed, it's essential that you install the drivers in the correct order :emotion-55:

No Events found!