Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2010 09:00

Need to run two monitors showing different programs (Excel and Access ex.) What do I purchase to accomplish this?

I'm assuming that a 'splitter' isn't the proper thing to purchase or can the computer differentiate between the two.  I'm not real computer savey but can get around pretty well.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 5th, 2010 10:00

You must say what model computer and operating system to get an answer. Also say what video card you have. You must have a video card with 2 connectors or 2 separate video cards. A splitter will not work.

112 Posts

January 5th, 2010 10:00

Your video card would have to provide this capability. If you have a desktop computer, chances are it already has more than one video output connector (VGA, DVI, HDMI). All you would need to do is connect the monitors to the desired outputs and then take a trip to the Display control panel to turn on the extra one (select it, check the box that reads "Extend my desktop onto this monitor". From there, you might need to adjust the resolution on the additional monitoris to suit your tastes.

2 Posts

January 5th, 2010 12:00

Sorry - would pay to know.  I'm running a D610 on a docking station at work.  Could I run the system with my laptop screen off the docking station and then use the monitor connection in the back of the laptop?

112 Posts

January 5th, 2010 12:00

Yep. You just have to connect the external monitor and cycle the video output until the second monitor comes on (Fn+F8, if I recall). When you get video output on the second monitor, go back into the Display control panel to extend the windows desktop onto that monitor, otherwise I think it will just be a clone of what's on the built-in panel (which would be useful for presentations and such).

No Events found!