Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2013 21:00

New Inspiron 15 (3521): Non-touch to Touch?

Hello. I recently purchased the new Inspiron 15, at the time as a non-touch screen laptop. Later, I realized I do indeed want to have the touch screen option on my new laptop, but was too late to speak to someone about changing or cancelling the order. Is there any way I can possibly have the touch screen installed after I receive it or buy a "replacement" touch screen to install? Just wondering. Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 31st, 2013 15:00

It's not a practical upgrade - you'd need to replace the mainboard, screen, and cables - likely at a cost equal to or over what you paid for the system initially.  You'll also lose your warranty in the process.

If you are within 21 days of shipment, you can return the system and re-order;  if you're outside that, you'll lose less money by selling the system privately and buying a replacement with a touchscreen.

The upgrade just makes no practical sense.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 30th, 2013 21:00

Hi muziclova08,

Dell would not be able to provide free upgrade on your system. You can purchase the Touch LCD assembly kit from our spare parts division at 1-800-357-3355 (US only) and get it assembled with a local technician.

July 30th, 2013 22:00

About how much would that cost? It sounds like it would be worth it.

July 31st, 2013 12:00

Do you know about much it would cost? I tried to call the number you provided but the guy was unable to tell me anything about it.

July 31st, 2013 15:00

That's kinda what I was thinking, especially since I couldn't find the kit online anywhere. I'll just place another order & get my refund for the first one. Thanks for ur response

No Events found!