Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2013 20:00

Num lock turning on or off

Hi,

Kind of strange behavior. The keyboard works fine. Only the number section (Inspiron 17R SE) acts up.

When i switch between software/application the lock is on or off without touching it. Annoying!

I sometimes have a black number 9 showing up in the taskbar...but it comes and disappear.

I checked my registry (InitialKeyboardIndicators) and the number "2" is at the right place.

Any ideas? Tricks?

Need help....thanks you.

Faby

May 15th, 2013 22:00

Hi Faby,

If it’s a recent issue, I would recommend you to do systems restore and take the system to a prior date when it was working fine. To perform System Restore click on the link below:

http://dell.to/10Fn3g0

You can refer the Dell Article 635042 on Dell`s support site.

Note- Any application recently installed on the computer would be erased. However, the files and folder would be safe.

If system restore does not prove helpful, I would request you to try using an external keyboard to isolate the issue. Also, check if the Numlock key is stuck.

You may also update the BIOS, chipset and quickset drivers from the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/14qJqub

Please ensure that the AC adapter is plugged and the battery has at least 10% charge while updating the BIOS.

If it's a windows 7 system, you may also try to access safe mode to test the symptoms. To do this, please switch on the computer and start tapping the F8 key which would take you to Advanced Boot Option screen. Using the up and down arrow key, select "Safe Mode with Networking" and press enter.

Do keep me posted with the results.

Thanks & Regards
Rathish C
#iworkfordell

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site.

2 Posts

May 16th, 2013 07:00

Hello Ratish and thank you for a fast answer.

My laptop is only a week old and that is how it was when i got it. It is a "brand new" refurbished machine.

I updated as you said the bios, chipset and quickset. I did not have to go into safe mode nor restore.

My key is not lock.

Today all numbers work for any applications BUT the delete key. Notice the "delete" and "period" are on the same key. Period works.

My system is on Win 8.

Again, any trick...?

Faby

May 19th, 2013 03:00

Hi Faby,

Thanks for your response. I would request you to connect a good known keyboard to check the functionality and to isolate the issue.

Also we can run a PC checkup diagnostics to check keyboard functionality. Please click on the link below and follow the on screen instructions to run the tests:

http://dell.to/12LqMvV

Do let me know the test results.

Thanks & Regards
Rathish C
#iworkfordell

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site.

May 22nd, 2013 03:00

Hi Faby,

Just checking if the issue has been resolved or not since I haven’t heard from you for a while. Please update me on the same so that I can help you further.

Please respond for further assistance.

Thanks & Regards
Rathish C
#iworkfordell

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site.

No Events found!