Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

12 Posts

August 27th, 2004 18:00

Opening my 1100's lid when not in standby sometimes causes blue screen / memory dump crash (bsod)

I have an 1100 with an XGA screen; it's about a year and a half old now.

Frequently I close the lid of the laptop when I'm working just to protect the keyboard and screen from spills, flying squirrels, whatnot, without putting the laptop in standby. When I re-open the screen, the image always comes back up just fine, but then:

...always, the screen will flicker to black for about half-a-second.  This is annoying, but liveable.  However, a small percentage of the time...

...when the screen flickers back, it crashes the laptop completely, sending it to a blue screen / memory dump.

I have the most current BIOS installed.  Any ideas what's causing this?  And how it can be remedied?

Thanks, all!

--Chris

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 27th, 2004 20:00

Do you have the latest graphics card driver? If you do not, uninstall the old one first through add/remove programs in control panel and restart your computer. Can you tell me what the error message says is the cause? If this happens again, go to control panel, administrative tools, event viewer and see if there are any error messages listed.
If none of the above helps, try Windows XP Service Pack 2 from Microsoft. I doubt that it is directly related to this, but it fixes a number of problems and may help.

12 Posts

August 28th, 2004 13:00

Thanks for your reply.

I have SP2.  My driver was fine according to Windows Update, but I went to Intel's site and downloaded a much newer driver from there.  We'll see if it makes a difference; I'll report back after its been installed for a while.

--Chris

No Events found!