Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

January 3rd, 2009 11:00

PLEASE HELP RESTORE XP TO ORIGINAL FACTORY SETTINGS

I have an Inspiron E1705 running Windows XP. I have been having some problems and want to restore it to original factory condition.

When I try to boot it up, the black windows screen comes up, then it goes completely black and goes to the blue windows screen, showing "windows XP" as if to boot.  It never goes beyond this point.  I take out the battery and let it die, try to re-boot but the same thing happens everytime.  I cannot even figure out how to start it in safe mode.  I have tried pressing ctrl and f11 but that doesn't work either. 

I have "fix it utility disk" and when I put that in and try to boot, it will go to the program and "allegedly" allow me to restore to an earlier point, but when I click on reboot it never goes out of the program.  If I remove the disk, it all starts over a again.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can get it to boot or to restore from this point?

Thank you for any help you can give.

3.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2009 12:00

Hello,

Page 111 of this Dell PDF file for your model will show you how.

3.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2009 18:00

You're welcome, Glad to be of service. :emotion-15:

January 3rd, 2009 18:00

I cannot thank you enough!!!!

IT took me about 15 minutes to fix this and I have been struggling w/it for a week!!

The key was to press the 'ctrl' and F11 when the blue bar w/the dell.com appeared.  I had tried that before, but the pdf. explained that it must be done when the blue bar appears and if you don't do it in time, you must reboot it again! It worked immediately!

Thanks again, you saved me the hassle of taking it to the one computer repair place available, spending "who knows" how much money and being w/out my computer even longer.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

3 Posts

November 26th, 2011 14:00

CTRL and F11 together never shows a blue bar!! - help!!  thanks!!

1 Message

September 30th, 2013 16:00

Ctrl +f11 That was it, thank you!!
No Events found!