This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

3 Posts

July 28th, 2005 18:00

Pointer freezes with pointing stick

Hi again,

Please ignore my previous message.

For my Dell Latitude D610 laptop, I'm having a problem with the pointer freezing occassionally for about 4-5 seconds with the pointing stick. When the pointer sticks, I'm still able to use the keyboard. The pointer doesn't stick when I'm using the Touch Pad or an external USB mouse. This problem does not discriminate for any particular program.

Troubleshooting:
  1. I have uninstalled the Alps Touch Pad driver (R89598.exe) and reinstalled it, but this didn't work.
  2. I have toggled with the settings for the pointing stick in the Control Panel, but this didn't work neither.
I read that this driver may be outdated, but I couldn't find a more recent driver on the Alps website.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Darren.

2 Posts

July 30th, 2005 16:00

I have the similar problem and still can't resolve. My Alps Touch Pad version is 5.4.102.12 and cannot find any newer version in the web. Hopefully Dell can help us  to get the latest driver to resolve this issue.
Thanks.

3 Posts

August 2nd, 2005 17:00

Hi Kehmal,

I talked to Dell Support and they said that they would replace my keyboard in order to fix this problem. They don't have a new Alps driver for the pointing stick. They also mentioned that if replacing the keyboard did not help, they would replace the whole laptop.

I hope this helps.

Darren

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2005 19:00

Thanks.

I got my keyboard changed last week but problem still there. You can actually resolve the issue if you disable the touch pad but this doesnt help me becasue I would prefer to have both the stick and touch pad working together. Thanks. 

3 Posts

September 11th, 2005 23:00

I have the same problem with my Dell D610.  Dell replaced my laptop twice but the problem persists.

This is a known problem and I don't know why Dell is not doing anything to resolve it.
No Events found!