Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2017 08:00

Popping/Crackle whenever a sound starts to play.

I know there've been many forums with a similar question that's been asked, but I think mine is something slightly different. So I bought a Dell Inspiron 15, Series 5000, just last month. All seems to be working well, except for one thing. I use Spotify & Apple Music to play music, so I can create a transition between two songs (e.g. One comes immediately off the back of the other smoothly). If a song ends on Apple Music, and I press play on Spotify, it makes a short 'pop' before the track starts and sometimes very briefly crackles all the audio in my headphones.

Another issue, is when I want to play audio from Windows Media Player, there's an even louder pop/crackle before it starts. It didn't do this on my old HP when I used to do exactly the same thing. Does anyone have any fixes/solutions? I'd be really grateful! Thanks :)

14 Posts

November 9th, 2017 18:00

Same exact issue with the same exact laptop in this thread.

Seems Dell has a real snafoo on their hands with these 5000 series. Can we do a ..... ...... .......?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 10th, 2017 05:00

Hello Mr. Tom. Just want to give a heads-up that your post contains language that could be construed as violating the Forum's TOU regarding "solicitation of lawsuits." If you don't edit out that part your post might be removed by a moderator. Other than that kind of thing, you can be as critical of Dell as you want.

the same exact laptop

But what I really wanted to bring up is about model names. The sales part of Dell seems to use names that mean nothing on the support side. I can't  look up your model, or HRB005's model, or usama_9hk's model (from the other thread you posted in), because in Support there is no model named 'Dell Inspiron 15, Series 5000". The model names usually contain 4 numbers, like Inspiron 5379, Inspiron 5758, etc.

The first word (Inspiron, Latitude, etc) is the model line.

The 1st number might be what Sales is calling the series. There are over 5 dozen models that start with "5", spanning a number of years.

The second number is the screen size. For example "3" is a 13 inch, "4" is 14 inch, etc.

The remaining 2 numbers in the model name pin down the exact model.

My point is that we don't know which model or models you guys are posting about, and don't know if the problem is in one model or several different ones. If any of the people with this lagging issue want to post the model name, here are various ways to find it.

If anyone finds a solution or workaround, I will put it in the Recent Issues FAQ. I listed the models by screen size, so there are models that begin with a "5" scattered all through the FAQ. Based on what others have experienced in the past, I would guess that a lag at the beginning of an audio file, along with a pop, is being caused by a poor power management scheme that keeps turning off the audio, then not turning it back on fast enough, leaving the audio system not ready for the signal.

14 Posts

November 10th, 2017 09:00

OK, I apologize about that. I think I accidentally clicked the flag as spam on your message. I thought it was a reply button and clicked too fast.

But there's no model name on the bottom of the laptop other than P66F. I had to log into support and enter the Service Tag # to find out it's an Inspiron 15 5567.

No Events found!