Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 27th, 2011 05:00

Precision M6400 memory upgrade problems

Hi there, 

I have a problem I can't figure it out and couldn't find anything helpful anywhere else, so i hope you guys will be able to help me out.

I have a m6400 precision Dell at the top of its stats, but with only 8 gb of ram. So I came to this forum to find how to upgrade the ram and I found the crucial website which run the ram test and found 2 compatible slot of ram of 4 gb each. I bought them and when I installed in the C and D slot close to the laptop battery, my dell doesn't start.. I'm wondering if it is a compatibility problem or is my motherboard that need to be changed under warranty? 

I hope you will be able to help me.

Thanks for your time, 

Dan

7 Posts

July 28th, 2011 19:00

Ok.. I find the fix.. The problem was not the ram or the motherboard.. but where I put the ram. In order to work they have to be put alternated.. So I put the original ram in slot A and C and the new ram in slot B and D.. In this way works perfect.

Hope it will help someone else with the same problem..

PS: I did buy the new ram in the crucial website and it was very cheap and works fine so far. To check the compatibility of my ram I did the test in the crucial website and after doing the test i bought the upgrade they offered..

Hope it will help who ever wants to upgrade the memory on his dell..

Cheers

7 Posts

yes.. the memory came from crucial itself.. I just got it today and I tried.. but couldn't even start my laptop..

7 Posts

ok.. I'll try it tomorrow as soon as I wake up, and post the result.

thanks

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Try the new memory in place of the original  -- if it works there, but not in addition to the original, chances are it's a mainboard problem.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Did the memory come from Crucial, or elsewhere?

7 Posts

July 27th, 2011 14:00

So I tried all the possible combination between the memory I have and the one I bought from crucial and the crucial's memory work fine.. my laptop doesn't start only when I put any kind of ram in my C and D slot.. so i guess my laptop motherboard doesn't work..

Is there any other possibility that I'm missing?

No Events found!