Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2012 09:00

Problem after Problem with Inspiron 14R

A month after I bought my Dell Inspiron 14R - I had to return it to Dell to have the hard drive replaced!

3 months after that, computer crashed and again - had to ship it off and replace the hard drive. 

Got it back, and 2 weeks later - the USB ports stopped working. 

Called support, and it took hours but the tech finally got them working again. 

A few weeks later, a USB icon popped up and said that there was an unrecognized device plugged into the USB port. 

There was nothing plugged in!

I called support and they were baffled - one tech kept insisting I must have something plugged in - I ASSURE YOU - I did not and I was getting upset that he didn't believe me. 

He got the icon to go away ...and all seemed fine - until I shut it down and then the next day when I started the system up - it appeared. 

I couldn't deal with hours on the phone with tech support so I simply lived with it. The USB ports all functioned - so, whatever. 

Then my computer (connected via wifi) stopped working. It would work if it was connected via USB - but did not work WIFI even though the printer wifi light was on, and the other computers in the house (also Dells!) had no problem connecting to the printer via WIFI. 

So I called tech again. Told them about the constant USB warning "unrecognized device" - and the failure of WIFI printer. Their answer was to send me a Windows Restore Disk. So, while on the phone with me, we restored the laptop to factory settings - the tech took over remotely and guess what - THE USB WARNING WAS STILL THERE!!!! He was dumbfounded. 

I was on the phone with him for 2 hours and he kept trying different things - finally - he tells me the webcam is corrupted and that's why the USB warning appears -the only way to fix it is to send it BACK to them and get a new webcam. I don't ever use the webcam. However, I've been told this USB port has been fixed a few times, and I'm worried that my computer is simply nothing more than a lemon. I know I should send it back - but I need a computer. I do all my work from a computer. What I really want is a complete replacement - that I've had to re-install all my programs 3 times in LESS THAN A YEAR is ridiculous. That I've spent close to 24 hours on the phone when you add up all the hours I've spent on the phone with these techs - is ridiculous. 

I'm writing to ask if any one has had a similar problem(s) - if anyone has any recommendations of who to contact to request a replacement computer. 

This is my first Dell. My daughter has the same exact model bought from the same exact store - she is a teen and has a ton of crap on her computer. All I have is Office, iTunes, use it for my digital camera and flip cam, and that's IT. No games. No extra

And she's had zero problems. 

I've had Mac, HP, IBM, and I have a net Acer - none of those ever had these kind of problems!!!! 

Sooo very frustrated. 

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

July 19th, 2012 10:00

missmadchatter

I can certainly understand your frustration. I may be able to help.  If you would like for me to go over your case history shoot me a private message.  Just click on the link in my signature and in the message please include your name, the service tag of your notebook and any case numbers that you may have received from tech support.

TB

96 Posts

July 19th, 2012 10:00

i have the 1564 and had similar problems with the webcam. I kept on hearing the usb connect/disconnect sound and my screen was flickering on and off and this was after i had my webcam changed once already. I took the front cover off and unplugged the webcam and haven't had a flicker or sound yet. I can do without the webcam plus i don't want dell to replace a defective part with another defective part again let alone pay them to do it...

No Events found!